GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 162 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,805
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,377
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,422
Posts1,060,652
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217304
12/26/04 10:55 AM
12/26/04 10:55 AM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline OP
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline OP
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
I just thought of something that some of you fellow "Sopranos" followers might find interesting.

As we know, in Episode 12 of Season Three ("Amour Fou"), Jackie Aprile Jr and three of his friends (Dino Zerilli, Carlo Renzi, and Matush) attempt to prove themselves and jumpstart their criminal careers by robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game. As we know, it all goes terribly awry. Sunshine the dealer, Carlo, and Dino get killed and Furio gets shot in the leg. And eventually, Jackie pays the ultimate price, too.

Anyways, I remember reading that the name of the building where Ralph had his weekly card game was something like "J. Basile Electrical Supply" or something like that. I just watched the robbery scene over again, and sure enough, the name "Basile" is on the walls.

And remember that in Season Five, we meet a character named Jerry Basile, who is a New York capo on the side of Little Carmine Lupertazzi during his turf war with Johnny Sack.

Could it be that Jerry Basile is the owner of the business where Ralph had his card game? If so, there is an interesting tidbit showing the association of the North Jersey mob and the New York mob. We know that New York gets a slice of everything that North Jersey does, and here might be an example of it.

"Keep your body strong, your blood clean, and your mind sharp and mean." Henry Rollins
Re: Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217305
12/27/04 04:47 PM
12/27/04 04:47 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Hey Chris; not seen you in a while, mate. Have a good Christmas?

As observant as you always are; it's been a while since I watched an episode (not since the end of season five).

This is interesting especially when you consider how inconsistent references, cross-references, and the writing/plots in general are in the programme.

This example you mention is, I think, meant, but for some reason I just can't see Chase et al writing up full backgrounds to such things and using them for subtle references for hardcore fans to pick up on. I wish they would take that much care with "big" storylines...

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217306
01/04/05 09:55 AM
01/04/05 09:55 AM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline OP
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline OP
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
Hey CAPO! Long time, no type!

Yeah, I had a great Christmas. My wife and I got to announce to our family that we have a bambino on the way! Everyone was super-happy to hear that. Definitely a memorable Christmas!

But back to the "Sopranos" discussion.
You said: "This is interesting especially when you consider how inconsistent references, cross-references, and the writing/plots in general are in the programme.
This example you mention is, I think, meant, but for some reason I just can't see Chase et al writing up full backgrounds to such things and using them for subtle references for hardcore fans to pick up on. I wish they would take that much care with "big" storylines..."

I don't think Chase had the details of the Jackie Aprile Jr. robbery (the J. Basile Electrical Supply store) planned out in Season Three so he could introduce the character Jerry Basile years later in Season Five!
I think Chase had to come up with some New York mobsters for Season Five, and saw an opportunity to have some ultra-subtle "history" with Jerry Basile.

And do you really think this show has that many inconsistencies? I always thought that this show was very strong when it comes to continuity.

"Keep your body strong, your blood clean, and your mind sharp and mean." Henry Rollins
Re: Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217307
01/04/05 05:30 PM
01/04/05 05:30 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I've never complained about inconsistencies in the past, not as much as some "fans" bash it. But the episodes are very inconsistent now compared to the beginning of season one. After Livia died, the episodes started to get disjointed, and after the success of Pine Barrens (deserved too!), Chase has always preferred the separate episode structure, whereby each episode is a "film" within itself.

But as for frustratingly leaving us high and dry regarding Vito and his "secret", and the ongoing rat Raymond Curto, I was surprised to hear of the subtle reference you picked up on.

Hey man, congratulations of the highest order regarding your expected bambino! Nice one!

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217308
01/04/05 11:27 PM
01/04/05 11:27 PM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline
Made Member
South Jersey
is that the reason why the stroylines seem so dissjointed? because of the whole mini-movie thing. I had never heard that, i just thought they had problems with too many stories to tell.

considering the original topic in this post, that robbery scene i was always one of my favorite bits in the entire series.

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: Jackie Aprile Jr robbing Ralph Cifaretto's card game #217309
01/17/05 02:42 PM
01/17/05 02:42 PM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline OP
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline OP
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
Yes, I tend to agree that episodes in a season seem to have less to do with each other. In Season One and Two, the episodes seemed to be all directly related to each other, with a few exceptions.
As of Season Three, the episodes are often stories within themselves more than they are parts a series, "Pine Barrens" being the best example.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull