GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,553
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,534
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,243
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Am I trippin'? #216078
03/28/04 02:00 AM
03/28/04 02:00 AM
New York
Louren3000 Offline OP
Associate
Louren3000  Offline OP
Associate
New York
Maybe I'm tripping or something, but I've noticed something peculiar about the roles of Backs on this show. I'm a big fan of the Sopranos, however I notice every time there is an African American on the show, they are in the same stereotypical roles: a light skinned wanna-be (who beds his daughter and runs off by the way), a crack ho, some junkie, crooked law officials or just plain old 'hoods'. I feel this is a very negative way to portray blacks. This is not the first time I've noticed this. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE SHOW, but being a black man watching the program sometimes sends me mixed messages. Is Mr. Chase saying that all blacks fit into some kind of category? I would understand if it was the dialogue coming from some of the wiseguys, becuase I know they are not too fond of us, but it seems to get out of hand with the creators of the show. Just some comments to think about. Anyone care to comment??

Take Care...

"I've always been loyal to you...I mean, what is this?"
-Thomas Hagen, Godfather Part II
Re: Am I trippin'? #216079
03/28/04 02:45 AM
03/28/04 02:45 AM
Minnesota
Jonny Lips Offline
Made Member
Jonny Lips  Offline
Made Member
Minnesota
Relax buddy...1st of all it is a mob show, so almost everyone is a criminal or is linked to crime in one way or another. All races in the show is discriminated against: Blacks, Italians, Russians, Arabs, Jews, and Mexicans. If any group should have a legitimate beef about their race being stereotypical it is the Italians, so I wouldn't take it to personal. Thats just how I see it.

Re: Am I trippin'? #216080
03/28/04 10:35 AM
03/28/04 10:35 AM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
Tony Soprano and his crew are criminals. Chances are, many Black persons they associate with will be of the crooked variety, just by the nature of their criminal connections.

And the Soprano Family members obviously don't socialize with Black people, nor do they live in neighborhoods with Black people, whether it be decent regular Black folks, successful wealthy Blacks, or criminal-type Blacks.

It's not some intentional slight on David Chase's part toward Black folks. It's just the reality of Italian gangsters that Chase has infused in these characters.

"Keep your body strong, your blood clean, and your mind sharp and mean." Henry Rollins
Re: Am I trippin'? #216081
03/28/04 11:20 AM
03/28/04 11:20 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Well said Chris! And Johnny Lipps is correct too. If anyone might feel insulted, it would be the Italians/Sicilians. I know there is the Italian defamation league which is constantly putting down the Sopranos for the way they portray Italians. :rolleyes:

However, being Sicilian, that's not the case with me . It's a tv show and GF is a movie. Do we think all Italians talk or act like Paulie or Silvio, or Tony for that matter??? Of course not. Just as we know that all blacks aren't like the ones in the Sopranos, or Russians or Jews or whatever. It is logical that Tony and his people would associate with low-life criminals, since they themselves are the same. To show low-lifes come in all races and ethnicities makes perfect sense, considering the type of show it is.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Am I trippin'? #216082
03/28/04 01:03 PM
03/28/04 01:03 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Oh Yea, what about the way he shows fat people!

Sure it is always poor little old me and mine.

It is a show, for crying out loud. Watch it, enjoy it and stop complaining about it!

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Am I trippin'? #216083
03/28/04 02:23 PM
03/28/04 02:23 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
Oh Yea, what about the way he shows fat people!

Sure it is always poor little old me and mine.

It is a show, for crying out loud. Watch it, enjoy it and stop complaining about it!
Oh yea! So what are you saying? All Italians are fat??? :p As soon as I eat my tray of canoli, I'll whip your a**!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Am I trippin'? #216084
03/28/04 06:08 PM
03/28/04 06:08 PM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Well said Chris! And Johnny Lipps is correct too. If anyone might feel insulted, it would be the Italians/Sicilians. I know there is the Italian defamation league which is constantly putting down the Sopranos for the way they portray Italians. :rolleyes:

However, being Sicilian, that's not the case with me . It's a tv show and GF is a movie. Do we think all Italians talk or act like Paulie or Silvio, or Tony for that matter??? Of course not. Just as we know that all blacks aren't like the ones in the Sopranos, or Russians or Jews or whatever. It is logical that Tony and his people would associate with low-life criminals, since they themselves are the same. To show low-lifes come in all races and ethnicities makes perfect sense, considering the type of show it is.

TIS
your being disriminatory and stereotypical as well TIS saying that anyone who is involved with crime is a low-life, which is not true at all!

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull