GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 483 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,588
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
James Gandolfini's Salary #213722
03/07/03 07:06 AM
03/07/03 07:06 AM
New York
SC Offline OP
Consigliere
SC  Offline OP
Consigliere

New York
Possible bad news ahead. I just heard on the news that James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) is threatening to boycott the Season 5 filming (due to start the end of March) if his salary request isn't matched.

He's now asking for $800,000 per episode, double what he's making now. Earlier this month HBO announced some of the stars were getting hefty pay raises.

"The Sopranos" is a huge money-maker for HBO...I say keep Gandolfini happy and give him the money. Many stars on network shows routinely made more per episode than Gandolfini is asking, so its time for HBO to put up the dough.

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213723
03/07/03 12:19 PM
03/07/03 12:19 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Possible bad news ahead. I just heard on the news that James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) is threatening to boycott the Season 5 filming (due to start the end of March) if his salary request isn't matched.

He's now asking for $800,000 per episode, double what he's making now. Earlier this month HBO announced some of the stars were getting hefty pay raises.

"The Sopranos" is a huge money-maker for HBO...I say keep Gandolfini happy and give him the money. Many stars on network shows routinely made more per episode than Gandolfini is asking, so its time for HBO to put up the dough.
Considering his co-stars got 400% raises, I think he deserves something close to it.

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213724
03/07/03 06:15 PM
03/07/03 06:15 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Aw, man! Hate to hear that. I agree with you though, SC: they should pay the man. With all the obstacles, it makes you wonder if Season 5 will ever be aired.

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213725
03/07/03 07:19 PM
03/07/03 07:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Gee, he's almost in Seinfeld territory.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213726
03/07/03 09:36 PM
03/07/03 09:36 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm with the rest of you! I say pay him. There are many tv stars who make much more than that. I'm not surprised to hear this tho. Money always seems to talk!!! )

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213727
03/07/03 10:41 PM
03/07/03 10:41 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Money, Money, Money....

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213728
03/08/03 01:27 AM
03/08/03 01:27 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
I think HBO should give in and give him the pay increase. After all he plays the title character, there wouldn't be a show without him(IMHO).

Plus several of his co-stars got huge pay raises.

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213729
03/08/03 11:06 AM
03/08/03 11:06 AM
minnesota
D
don bautista corleone Offline
Associate
don bautista corleone  Offline
D
Associate
minnesota
yes hello all, i saw on a headline news crawl at the bottom of the screen that he now in fact has sued HBO to get out of his contract/breech of. not good

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213730
03/08/03 01:29 PM
03/08/03 01:29 PM
Florida
angelfallon Offline
Wiseguy
angelfallon  Offline
Wiseguy
Florida
On "Extra" they said tptb were going to make James quote: "An offer he can't refuse". haha.

I'm going to be mad if James doesn't do Season 5. Do you think the other actors will want to continue without James? I don't.

"You'll have time to sleep when you're dead". - Robert DeNiro
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213731
03/08/03 01:31 PM
03/08/03 01:31 PM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
I just read the news at AOL news and was shocked. It doesn't look good for season 5 to air anytime soon.

http://kingfish4400.webstore.com/

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213732
03/08/03 03:52 PM
03/08/03 03:52 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Quote:
Originally posted by don bautista corleone:
yes hello all, i saw on a headline news crawl at the bottom of the screen that he now in fact has sued HBO to get out of his contract/breech of. not good
In relation to the above post I read the following article on eonline.

Gandolfini to HBO: Fuhgeddaboudit!

by Lia Haberman
Mar 7, 2003, 11:20 AM PT

Getting sued by James Gandolfini is downright civilized considering the alternative bargaining methods employed by his alter ego Tony Soprano: busted kneecaps or worse.

Keeping it legal, the TV mob boss filed a lawsuit against HBO in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday looking to get out of his contract with the cable network before shooting starts later this month on The Sopranos' fifth season.

The suit contends that HBO missed a deadline letting the burly actor know that his services would be required on set after it inked a deal giving creator David Chase $20 million for the series' fifth season. Citing a breach of contract, the titular lead of the Mafia drama now wants out.

"Our legal position is that there is no obligation for James Gandolfini to perform services for the coming season," attorney Martin Singer told Reuters, without definitely saying his client wouldn't return when production begins. "There have been negotiations going on for our client to potentially return. They haven't reached an agreement, and we have until March 24 to evaluate what to do. That is the day they've requested for him to come back to work."

But before disappointed fans of the don pick up their baseball bats and start swinging, consider that the actor is in the midst of renegotiating his contract with HBO and may be using the legal loophole to strong-arm the network into upping his take from the show. While Gandolfini hasn't spoken to Chase in months, according to a confab with onscreen confessor Lorraine Bracco in the March issue of Interview magazine, the actor is warming up "for our last and final debacle."

In fact, the suit came as a surprise to HBO execs currently at the bargaining table with the actor. Threatened with losing its prized thoroughbred, the network released a dismissive statement, saying, "This is nothing more than a further renegotiation tactic by an actor with a binding contract."

According to HBO reps, production is still scheduled to begin March 24, and the core cast, up for Best Ensemble in a TV Drama, is set to attend the SAG Awards at the Shrine Auditorium on Sunday. No word if Gandolfini, who's also nominated for Best Actor, plans to take one for the team and make an appearance.

Gandolfini may have the network by the cajones. The series is HBO's top-rated drama and last season's 75-minute finale, which left Tony and Carmela's future up for grabs, attracted 12.5 million viewers, making it the second most watched show in HBO history, just behind the fourth season premiere, which pulled in 13.4 million viewers.

Also looking for payback in recent days were some of Gandolfini's foot soldiers, including Michael Imperioli and Tony Sirico, who renegotiated their contracts with the network for a fifth and possibly sixth season. But the supporting actors' salaries, in the $60,000-$80,000 per-episode range, are chump change compared to what the harried head of the family is hoping to command.

As head honcho Gandolfini is looking for due respect to the tune of $750,000 per episode, in line with what his broadcast network peers, like Ray Romano ($800,000) and Kelsey Grammer ($1.6 million), are taking home. His paycheck is currently estimated at $400,000 an episode, which puts him in league with Frasier's second bananas Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin.

Even if HBO makes Gandolfini an offer he can't refuse, he will undoubtedly earn less overall than his network counterparts because the cable series only tapes 13 episodes per season, as opposed to an average 22 for a broadcast series.

Full Story.

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213733
03/08/03 08:07 PM
03/08/03 08:07 PM
Home
Carmela Soprano Offline
Associate
Carmela Soprano  Offline
Associate
Home
Jeez! $800,000 an episode?? I'm sorry, Gandolfini is a good actor, as are the rest of the cast, but he should get down on his knees and be grateful that he even has a job. A lot of America, myself included, have been jobless for quite some time and can't find a job anywhere and here's a man who has a steady job, who probably doesn't want for anything, nor does his family and his children and probably his children's children, threatening to strike if he doesn't get more money. The entertainment bizz is quite selfish.

Just my humble opinion,
Mackenzie

"Maybe you feel guilty because you stick your dick into anything with a pulse!"
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213734
03/08/03 08:50 PM
03/08/03 08:50 PM
kansas
indeterminate_x Offline
Made Member
indeterminate_x  Offline
Made Member
kansas
They'll lose a lot of money without gandolfini. And at the rate its going now they can only make more money. So its a pretty good investment

"Fools are they, who die."
-Mario Puzo-
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213735
03/08/03 08:58 PM
03/08/03 08:58 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
NEW YORK (March 8) - Fans of HBO's popular drama "The Sopranos" may have to "fuhgeddabout" another season after James Gandolfini, the actor who plays the family patriarch, filed a lawsuit seeking a release from his contract.

But viewers shouldn't count out "The Sopranos" just yet. A source close to Gandolfini said the actor believes he is underpaid relative to other small-screen stars, and that he would like to return for a fifth season if a deal can be reached.

"This suit is really about Jim (Gandolfini) being paid fair market value, like other stars of network television shows, and he expects it to be settled in a friendly way," the source said.

Gandolfini, a two-time Emmy award winner for his portrayal of conflicted mob boss Tony Soprano, alleged in a suit filed in California that HBO violated a clause in his contract when it failed to notify him of a $20 million deal it struck with David Chase, the show's creator.

"This is nothing more than a further renegotiation tactic by an actor in a binding contract," said HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer.

An end to "The Sopranos," which broke records for a cable show last year by pulling in 13.4 million viewers for its premiere, would be a huge blow to HBO, the subscription cable channel owned by AOL Time Warner .

"The Sopranos" is HBO's most popular show, and it paved the way for a string of HBO hits such as "Six Feet Under" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." The show's fifth season was scheduled to begin shooting in April, a spokesman said.

Gandolfini receives about $400,000 an episode under a deal renegotiated after the first season of "The Sopranos," according to Variety, roughly in line with stars like Martin Sheen of NBC's "The West Wing" but far below the $1.6 million per episode paid to Kelsey Grammer for NBC's "Frasier."

Network television shows generate advertising revenue, while commercial-free HBO derives its revenue solely from subscriptions. HBO's business model makes it difficult to calculate exactly how much "The Sopranos" -- and Gandolfini -- are worth.

"Unfortunately there's no way to quantify it," HBO spokesman Schaffer said of the show. "But we know it's valuable."

Several other actors on "The Sopranos," including Michael Imperioli, who plays Christopher Moltisanti; Tony Sirico, who plays Paulie Walnuts; and Jamie Lynn-Sigler, who plays Meadow Soprano, have recently renegotiated their contracts in recent months, according to reports in industry trade publications.

"Gandolfini has always been extremely supportive of his fellow cast members," said a source familiar with the production. "It would seem out of character that he would want to do something to jeopardize a financially rewarding year for his fellow cast."

Gandolfini and "Sopranos" production company Brillstein-Grey were not immediately available for comment."

03/07/03 17:23 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
it says that an agreement MIGHT be reached. *crosses fingers*

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213736
03/09/03 12:40 AM
03/09/03 12:40 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Those Shmucks on friends make 1 million an episode, why can't James make 800,000. He does twice the work and the show is much more respectable. Plus look how many Emmeys he's earned. Actors like him deserve big salaries.

The Don Ferro

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213737
03/09/03 12:21 PM
03/09/03 12:21 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Man!! I'll be so disappointed if he quits!! Do you think it's just a ploy for more money? There is no way in hell that after seeing him as Tony for four seasons that I could accept anyone else filling his shoes. He's the "main" figure in the story. Doesn't sound very encouraging does it. I'm very disappointed.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213738
03/09/03 07:24 PM
03/09/03 07:24 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
I haerd about that too. Also If there is a season 5, according to the New York Post it will air in January

Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213739
03/10/03 03:16 AM
03/10/03 03:16 AM
Michigan
Hollywood Hagan Offline
Underboss
Hollywood Hagan  Offline
Underboss
Michigan
Don't worry. This is just a ploy to get a raise. There is little chance that HBO will cancel their cash-cow, and there is no chance that they will film it without JG as Tony. From what I hear, HBO is playing hardball with him, and so he threatened to get out of his contract. Basically, he has the upper hand right now, and it looks like he will get a raise of some sort. Whether it is 800k or a bit less is yet to be seen. My guess is that they will continue to bicker and then come to an agreement of about 650-700k

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
Re: James Gandolfini's Salary #213740
03/10/03 01:14 PM
03/10/03 01:14 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
If they decide not to pay him, and he does boycott, then there should NOT be another season. How would The Sopranos be The Sopranos without The original Soprano?!

Just a quick question, as I don't really have a clue as to how these things work: is Gandolfini being greedy by wanting a higher salary, or does he have the right to in the first place? Thanks in advance.

mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull