GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (The_Marble_Guy, Turnbull), 279 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,554
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,535
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,259
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joe Valachi #205898
07/28/06 07:14 PM
07/28/06 07:14 PM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline OP
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline OP
The Dude
UK
A couple of weeks ago a new channel arrived on Sky Digital over here called the Crime and Investigation channel. My g/f's hobby is research into serial killers so there's plenty to keep her occupied, but there was a fantastic documentary on the other night about Joe 'The Rat' Valachi.

I will be honest when I say I didn't know too much about Valachi prior to the programme; I knew that he was the first wiseguy to flip from reading The Luciano Testament (and Lucky was not a happy bunny about it all!) and I knew, as part of my own research into the Kennedy Assassination, that he testified at the McClellan Committee. But I never realised the depth of omerta that he'd revealed at the hearings, including the structure of the Genovese Family. From the symbolism of the 'making ceremony' to the everyday gritty operations of your average mafia soldier, I mean this guy gave it all up.

I'd like to know more about him and perhaps watch the McClellan Committee tapings. I'm going to try and find the Valachi Papers by Peter Maas tomorrow in town, but will probably end up ordering it online. Can anyone recommend any sites with more info on Valachi? Wikipedia's site is rather scant as are their links to external Valachi sites.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: Joe Valachi #205899
07/29/06 12:05 AM
07/29/06 12:05 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Joe Valachi #205900
07/31/06 06:44 AM
07/31/06 06:44 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
The Maas book is one of the best Wiseguy readings written. Once you get hold of it you'll enjoy it. Here's my review of it:

Valachi Papers. By Peter Maas. Usually whilst reading accounts of Wiseguys straight from their own mouths can be perturbing, you want to believe what they say is true, but their whole life revolves around scheming, lying, cheating and the whole ‘respect’ thing etc. So you usually take what’s said with a pinch of salt, conversations and events may not have gone like the Wiesguy wants you to believe. The Valachi Papers is different. For Joe Valachi has an amazing recall and sharpness of memory as both Maas and law enforcement officials will attest to. Everything is confirmed and it leaves you with piece of mind and even a little trust for Valachi.

It’s an excellent book into the ‘rats’ life, from his earliest burglary days, through the Castellamarese War, Vito Genovese ascension to power and finally the brutal act in prison in which he bludgeoned an innocent man whom he mistook for another inmate, a Mafia hitman was actually out to kill him because they wrongly believed he was an informer.

In the confinement of prison where their was no escape, he had two options, die by the hands of the Mafia and be forever branded a rat in his death, or actually become a rat and live. The rest is history.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Joe Valachi #205901
07/31/06 08:33 AM
07/31/06 08:33 AM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline OP
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline OP
The Dude
UK
Thanks for the link, Turnbull, and thanks to Turi for the review. I didn't manage to get hold of the book in town so I'll order it from Amazon.

I'm sure that the Valachi Papers will provide an interesting comparison with Henry Hill's books

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: Joe Valachi #205902
07/31/06 12:50 PM
07/31/06 12:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I'm with Turi... its a book worth reading. DO NOT waste your time, however, watching the movie of the same name (starring Charles Bronson). (Its baaaaad).

Re: Joe Valachi #205903
07/31/06 03:03 PM
07/31/06 03:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I'm with Turi... its a book worth reading. DO NOT waste your time, however, watching the movie of the same name (starring Charles Bronson). (Its baaaaad).
I second that--totally! However, there's a bit of unintended humor in that film. Unlike the GF Trilogy, where FFC was fanatical in his attention to deail (especially the use of cars), "The Valachi Papers" makes some memorable car-gaffes:
In one scene, where Bronson is driving a '34 Ford at night, he's passed by a '71 Dodge station wagon. Later, while behind the wheel of what appears to be a '41 Buick, we see a '68 Checker Cab pass by. Near the end, they show the famous, aborted Apalachin, NY, Mafia convention. The "crawl" (lettering on the screen) says, "October 1957." Immediately, two New York State Troopers pull up--driving '59 Fords. (Boy, those cops always get first dibs on the new models!)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull