GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Havana, Big_Tuna93, 1 invisible), 466 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,345
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,416
Posts1,060,547
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafia in our days? #202544
05/31/05 03:23 PM
05/31/05 03:23 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline OP
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline OP
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Where can we experience/see mafia today? I've read something about that there is to commissions in the US and perhaps one in Sicily. Is some parts of the mob (in both Sicily and the US) organized in the old fashion way?

(Sorry if this was a somewhat stupid question, I don't know anything about mafia except for what I've learn watching and reading The Godfather.)

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: Mafia in our days? #202545
05/31/05 03:28 PM
05/31/05 03:28 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
The Mafia is overall....we have the Russian Mafia, the Yakuza (Japanese Mafia), Chinese Triads (Chinese Mafia)...well in that case you can say there is enough Mafia alive. A month ago there was a Mafia war in Napels between 2 families of the Camorra (Mafia from Napels).

The organization is still in tact. Maybe the organisation is expanded with businessman because they are needed. But the ranks are still there.

I think the Commission and Cupola (The 'commission' of Sicily) is still there. But this can't be proven I think.

If you want anything else to know just post. This board is kind enough to help.

Re: Mafia in our days? #202546
05/31/05 03:36 PM
05/31/05 03:36 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline OP
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline OP
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Thank you, M.M Floors!

Maybe I'm blinded by seing The Godfather, but what kind of business techniques do they use? For example in America? I would believe it's harder killing a guy here and killing a guy there in the year 2005 than in 1945? Or am I just naive, as Michael Corleone would have said it? (to Kay Adams in GF)

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: Mafia in our days? #202547
05/31/05 03:44 PM
05/31/05 03:44 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
Hey Al.Neri!
Well I can't answer for America, but in Naples it's ole-fashioned shootouts in the streets still. They have a residential street in La Scampia (the rundown cement towerblock quarter on the outskirts of the city) nicknamed the Murder Mile where people can't go out at night because of machine gun attacks. There are more precise, targeted killings also but Naples is a very noisy, chaotic city and a lot of the violence takes place on the streets. I was there recently and the week before, civilians had been shot at whilst playing football outside a bar, a 25 year old man died. They were just caught in the crossfire of the war M.M.Floors was talking about. I think it was in 2002 (please correct me if I'm wrong, just typing from memory!) that one of the Camorra's matriarchs, La Padrina, was convicted after a war spiralled out of control and there were something like 68 killings in one year. (I got this information from a newspaper article but I can't find it right now to make sure) So as you can see, in some parts of the world the Mafia as it is portrayed to us is alive and kicking. Or should that be shooting?

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: Mafia in our days? #202548
05/31/05 03:55 PM
05/31/05 03:55 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Al.Neri:
Thank you, M.M Floors!

Maybe I'm blinded by seing The Godfather, but what kind of business techniques do they use? For example in America? I would believe it's harder killing a guy here and killing a guy there in the year 2005 than in 1945? Or am I just naive, as Michael Corleone would have said it? (to Kay Adams in GF)
The business is not very different. Drugs/Legal Businesses/Weapons (Nuclear) are the newest I think. A lot of the money the different organizations earned are now in legal business. So the Mafia is making more money without doing anything illegal. Ofcourse when this doesn't work anymore the fall back on the older ways to make money. And a killing that's useful for the money is still normal. It doesn't matter what year or place it is. When they want you dead 99% percent you get killed. A famous line: "When a bullet has your name on it, it will hit it's target. Now or tomorrow..."

Re: Mafia in our days? #202549
05/31/05 03:57 PM
05/31/05 03:57 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline OP
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline OP
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for the answer, Joolsie!

What is the government doing to prevent these things taking place? ..and what are people in Sicily's view on mafia shootouts in the streets and the mafia in general?

Re: Mafia in our days? #202550
05/31/05 07:47 PM
05/31/05 07:47 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Government in the US made a big step with the RICO-act. Can't explain it in detail but it has something to do with organized crime. When somebody is linked with an organization he is doing something illegal and can be arrested/prosecuted just for that. But someone around this board can explain it better.

In Sicily it's a whole different thing. Government is doing shit there. They had a few efforts some years ago but the results where very low. The Maxi-proces was one of the biggest. But when the Mafia blew up 2 of the front man of this process (Falcone/Borsellino) the process failed. In Sicily they don't do anything to stop it.

And ofcourse the people in Sicily don't like the shootings. Nobody does it. But it has been too long a normal view. So nobody looks up when it happens. And even when they do see it....then the still say to police they didn't see/hear anything. That's how it goes.

Further questions are welcome.

Re: Mafia in our days? #202551
06/01/05 08:58 AM
06/01/05 08:58 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Al.Neri:
Where can we experience/see mafia today?
Just look around. Mafia is everywhere. It's immortable. If you need them, you'll find them. If they need you, they'll find you even faster.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Mafia in our days? #202552
06/01/05 02:17 PM
06/01/05 02:17 PM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline OP
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline OP
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Thank you for great answers.

How is the Italian mafia doing in the US? Are they still in businesses like gambling, whores and narcotics?

Does families like the Corleone with so much power still exist in the US?

Re: Mafia in our days? #202553
06/01/05 09:32 PM
06/01/05 09:32 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
The Corleone family was a fictional mafia crime created by Mario Puzo. The mafia families in United States has lost some of it's previous power over the past years.

Re: Mafia in our days? #202554
06/01/05 10:28 PM
06/01/05 10:28 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I think that what's happened here in the U.S. is that ever since John Gotti was taken down by a turncoat underboss, no one really wants the job anymore. Yes there is no question that the Mafia still exists here in the U.S. and that they still have their hands in many many things, but I think that a hard lesson was learned with the fall of John Gotti, and those who may be left from the old school have learned that it's better to keep a low profile. For the most part the older factions, the ones from the Gotti days and before have either died or have been sent to prison themselves over the last decade. With the way that the laws are written these days, RICO,wiretaps, etc., it has become too risky to be a boss anymore. One guy flips, one wiretap is brought into evidence to corroborate that turncoat's testimony, and a boss is charged with RICO and will go away for life! Being the boss of a family is not as desirable a job as it once was.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Mafia in our days? #202555
06/02/05 07:09 AM
06/02/05 07:09 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lights:
The Corleone family was a fictional mafia crime created by Mario Puzo. The mafia families in United States has lost some of it's previous power over the past years.
Puzo's Corleone family was fictional...but the Corleone family is (at the moment) the strongest family in Sicily. It's a real life family with former bosses like Luciano Leggio ,Toto Riina (jail) and Bernardo Provenzano (probably, I repeat: probably, the boss of bosses in Sicily).

Re: Mafia in our days? #202556
06/02/05 08:38 AM
06/02/05 08:38 AM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline OP
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline OP
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
Yes, I know the Corleones was a fictional family, but I meant as powerful as the Corleones in the novel/movies.

Were there families as powerful as the Corleones (yes, the fictional Corleones)in the 40-60s in the United States?(when the novel is taking place)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull