GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ben54, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,725
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,271
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,526
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,405
Posts1,060,276
Members10,349
Most Online911
03:56 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pretty Gangsters #202509
05/27/05 05:06 PM
05/27/05 05:06 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline OP
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline OP
Made Member
North East England
Alright, I had to raise the issue...

Is it still a no-no for women to be made in the American Cosa Nostra? And the Sicilian Mafia? I understand that these are patriarchal organisations and that women have always been kept out of the action, and all my reading and film-watching has supported this.

But I know some versions of 'mafia' allow women to fight now - for instance the Camorra in Naples, in which there is even a notorious 'Godmother'. I don't know about Japanese/Russian/South American gangs. But could any of you knowledgable people help me out here? What's the status of women nowadays? Can they be made? And if not, is it still deemed acceptable to kill them? (gawd that sounds like I'm planning on it... you know I don't mean it like that I hope!)

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: Pretty Gangsters #202510
05/27/05 06:40 PM
05/27/05 06:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I doubt any women are "made" in the US Mafia (except in the bedroom sense ), though it's pretty obvious that lots of Mafia wifes and goumads are tons smarter than the made guys, and are probably the real powers.
As for the Sicilian Mafia, if you follow this link, you might infer that women are made there:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7884756/

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Pretty Gangsters #202511
05/27/05 08:00 PM
05/27/05 08:00 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Bonnie Parker (of Bonnie & Clyde fame) wasn't too bad a dish. Well, I wouldn't have kicked her out of bed! But, then again, she wasn't mafia either.

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: Pretty Gangsters #202512
05/27/05 08:24 PM
05/27/05 08:24 PM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline OP
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline OP
Made Member
North East England
Thanks guys I appreciate the quick response (and the link Turnbull, thanks)

Found this too: Tales of a 'Mafia Mamma.' The Cosa Nostra isn't exactly a bastion of women's rights, and yet, in Italy, a country that has never had a female president, prime minister or mayor of Rome, Giuseppina Vitale recently came out as its first female boss pentito-or informer. Guisy is not the first woman to turn against Italian mobsters, nor the first high-profile mafiosa. But so ingrained is the historic chauvinism of the Costra Nostra, with its conservative southern traditions, that some mafia experts -- all male -- refuse to believe Giusy's accounts. But such experts may be slow to recognize changes in the organization, report Special Correspondents Jacopo Barigazzi and Pape. About the same woman.

And this is a very interesting article, I hope it's okay to copy and paste it? It's from The Times of India Online.

[ When Harry Belafonte sang ‘Man fast, woman faster’ in Carnegie Hall in the 1960s, he could not have anticipated that the day would come when women would literally call the shots in the mafia in Italy.
This Monday’s edition of the newspaper Corriere della Sera gives a graphic account of a Sunday night car chase and shoot-out between the female family members of the Camorra and Cava gangs which rule the region in and around the southern Italian city of Naples.
Following the shoot-out at Lauro in which two middle-aged women and a 16-year-old girl were killed, the Corriere wrote, “(The) incident shows that not only bosses and their ‘soldiers’ have the duty to eliminate members of rival families; now the women, the bosses’ wives and even the daughters participate”.
So it is time for Francis Ford Coppola to direct an updated version of Godfather showing not Marlon Brando but Diane Keaton as the main character. To avoid any confusion with Godfather and Godfather II, the updated version should be titled ‘Godmother’.
The principal character could even be appropriately dressed in dark shades like Truffaut’s The Bride Wore Black. The only catch, of course, is that a film titled Godmother could run into copyright problems of a sort in India.
Shabana Azmi has already starred in a Bollywood film called Godmother where the principal character dies gracefully in the end so as to prove — if proof were required — that crime doesn’t pay unless it is shot in 70 mm.
To avoid any such copyright problem, Coppola’s updated version could be released in India under the title of ‘Madrina’, Italian for godmother. There is a real-life precedent in Naples where one madrina has muscled in on the territory of a godfather and another has successfully run the family ‘business’ while her brother was in jail. In the wake of the recent shoot-out, assumptions like “women can’t shoot straight” are not only archaic but also inaccurate. ]

I was in Naples a few weeks ago and I stayed right in the Camorra territory, La Forcella. Some of those girls... I mean no offence to any Neapolitans who may post here, but I wouldn't mess with them!

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull