GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 520 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,437
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,429
Posts1,060,842
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"GOTTI" #202296
04/14/05 05:08 PM
04/14/05 05:08 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline OP
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline OP
Underboss
Miami, FL
I am contemplating getting "GOTTI" on DVD, can anyone give me info on this film? Is it that good? Don Cardi, other Gotti "enthusiasts" or anybody who has seen it please answer.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: "GOTTI" #202297
04/14/05 06:36 PM
04/14/05 06:36 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Gotti is a very good film. I suggest you buy it. It is not entirely accurate but is relativeley authentic and the dapper don is played wonderfully by a highly underrated actor, Armande Assante. Of course, DC will have a much more reliable opinion on this, I'm sure.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: "GOTTI" #202298
04/14/05 06:40 PM
04/14/05 06:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I assume you're thinking about the HBO movie, "Gotti," with Armand Assante. IMO, this is an entertaining film. The cast--with one exception--is excellent, and carries the film, despite the many liberties it took with the facts of Gotti's career. Anthony Quinn was an inspired choice to play Neil Dellacroce. The others were just as good: Richard Sarafian as Castellano, Marc Angel as Gambino, Vincent Pastore as Ruggiero, and the ever-popular Frank Vincent as DiB.
The exception was Assante. Not that he gave a bad performance, but he was unconvincing as Gotti--he played him with too much energy, drive, intelligence and throughfulness. Assante always plays his roles the same, and his Gotti was no different than his role in "The Mambo Kings."
Tom Sizemore was a far more convincing Gotti in a small role in "Witness to the Mob," an otherwise dismal film about Gravano's life. "Gotti" was a far better film, but Sizemore's performance made "Witness" worth watching (once).

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "GOTTI" #202299
04/14/05 06:43 PM
04/14/05 06:43 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline OP
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline OP
Underboss
Miami, FL
What "liberties" do they take with fact and fiction?

Hey, how's it going?
Re: "GOTTI" #202300
04/14/05 09:19 PM
04/14/05 09:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
The exception was Assante. Not that he gave a bad performance, but he was unconvincing as Gotti--he played him with too much energy, drive, intelligence and throughfulness. Assante always plays his roles the same, and his Gotti was no different than his role in "The Mambo Kings."
Dats It Turnbill! Chu wan to go to war, we go to war mang!!

I remember us having this little "debate" when we went to dinner, and while I agree with your assesment of Sizemore's Gotti, I still DO NOT agree with your assesment of Assante's Gotti!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "GOTTI" #202301
04/15/05 11:32 AM
04/15/05 11:32 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[ Dats It Turnbill! Chu wan to go to war, we go to war mang!!

Don Cardi
Don't plan on taking any helicopter rides anytime soon, DC!

Re: "GOTTI" #202302
04/15/05 11:38 AM
04/15/05 11:38 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
What "liberties" do they take with fact and fiction?
The most important:
1. The film shows Castellano forcing Gotti to take Ralph (Ralphie Wigs) Galione on the McBratney hit. In real life, Gotti and Ruggiero chose Galione.
2. Film shows Galione coked up and trigger-happily shooting McBratney. In reality, McBratney resisted all three very strongly, and had to be shot.
3. Film shows Gotti whacking Galione for screwing up the McBratney hit, and Castellano demanding Gotti's death as a result. In reality, Galione was killed almost two years later in a dispute with a loan shark that had nothing to do with the McBratney hit. And Castellano didn't demand Gotti's death.
4. Film shows Da Bull organizing and pulling the trigger in the murder, in an underpass, of John Favara, Gotti's unfortunate neighbor who accidentally ran over his son. In reality, Gravano probably had nothing to do with the Favara murder. And he was clubbed unconscious in the parking lot of a diner, stuffed into a van and never seen again.

Re: "GOTTI" #202303
04/15/05 01:41 PM
04/15/05 01:41 PM
Philadelphia
The Irish Mafia 28 Offline
Capo
The Irish Mafia 28  Offline
Capo
Philadelphia
In addition to Turnbull's information about Favara, here is a link that will give you more information about the death of John Favara: http://www.ganglandnews.com/column218.htm

"If you did so good exposing us, Donnie, whyzit you and your family gotta live a coverup for the rest of your lives?"
Re: "GOTTI" #202304
04/15/05 02:31 PM
04/15/05 02:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
1. The film shows Castellano forcing Gotti to take Ralph (Ralphie Wigs) Galione on the McBratney hit. In real life, Gotti and Ruggiero chose Galione.
As Turnbull said above, Gotti and Ruggerio chose Galione for the hit on McBratney. In the movie it shows Ruggerio complaing to Gotti that they were given Galione by Castellano and goes on to show Ruggerio saying " We should have been given Gravano!" That also is unfactual, as in real life Gravano was not that well known to Gotti and Ruggerio when the McBratney hit was being planned.

But all in all the movie is a pretty solid movie and for the most part it portrays many things that actually did happen in life. If you are a mob movie fan, then "Gotti" is a must for your collection.

footnote : an error that I picked up in the movie is when the hit is going down on Castellano, they show the outside of Sparks Steakhouse, and the street is shown as being a two way street! This may not seem to be a big deal, but actually it really was very important in the real life hit as planning for an escape route, backup shooters coming in, etc. had to be carefully mapped out because the street was a one way street.

But see the movie, you'll definately enjoy it!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "GOTTI" #202305
04/21/05 03:16 AM
04/21/05 03:16 AM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
footnote : an error that I picked up in the movie is when the hit is going down on Castellano, they show the outside of Sparks Steakhouse, and the street is shown as being a two way street! This may not seem to be a big deal, but actually it really was very important in the real life hit as planning for an escape route, backup shooters coming in, etc. had to be carefully mapped out because the street was a one way street.
But see the movie, you'll definately enjoy it!
Yes it was a one way street. There is even a point when Castellano and his driver are along side the same car that Gotti and Sammy the Bull are in going in the same direction before they arrive at Sparks. They cars were at a red light together. So yes it had to be a one way street. Then they killed him!

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull