GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Havana, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 371 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,979
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196171
01/10/03 01:24 AM
01/10/03 01:24 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline OP
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Did anyone see this article that appeared on the Foxnews website, that's where I read it.

NEW YORK — The reputed boss of the Bonanno crime family was charged Thursday with the 1981 murder of the fellow mobster who let an undercover FBI agent -- the legendary "Donnie Brasco" -- infiltrate the family.

Joseph Massino, 60, and three other ranking members of the Bonanno family were named in a federal indictment charging them with murder, racketeering and other crimes spanning two decades. The murders included the previously unsolved slaying of Dominick "Sonny Black" Napolitano in the Brasco case.

Prosecutors said in court papers that until his arrest Thursday morning, Massino had been the only "official boss" of New York's five Mafia families who was not behind bars.

If convicted, Massino would face life in prison. He was awaiting arraignment in federal court in Brooklyn. Defense attorney Matthew Mari said his client "has no knowledge of the crimes charged."

The arrests stemmed from an investigation aimed at dismantling the Bonannos, considered one of the underworld's most insular and secretive crime families.

In court papers, prosecutors said at least 15 witnesses were prepared to testify against Massino, including one who would put him at the scene of the hit on Napolitano. The witnesses, some of them family members, only recently agreed to provide the information to authorities, prosecutors said.

The Bonannos blamed Napolitano for unwittingly befriending undercover FBI agent Joseph Pistone and introducing him into the family in the late 1970s. Pistone -- who used the name Donnie Brasco and whose story inspired the 1997 movie of the same name -- helped send scores of mobsters to prison and cripple the family.

Shortly after Pistone left his undercover duty, Napolitano disappeared. His body was found a year later in a Staten Island swamp with a gunshot wound to the head.

An unidentified witness told investigators that Massino was present at the murder, court papers said. The family, the papers added, "murdered Napolitano because they believed he would cooperate given the difficulties he faced as a result of the `Donnie Brasco' investigation."

Massino allegedly assumed control of the crime family in 1991 after the death of boss Phillip "Rusty" Rastelli. Massino was serving a 10-year sentence for racketeering at the time but was released the following year.

The new indictment follows the conviction in 2001 of Anthony Spero, the Bonannos' reputed consigliere, or third-in-command, for ordering three hits. Then, last year, Spero's alleged successor, Anthony Graziano, and others were arrested and charged with murder, drug trafficking, extortion and other crimes.

The Bonannos carry the name of founder Joe Bonanno, an Italian immigrant who founded the family in the 1930s and died last year. After his forced retirement in the mid-1960s, the family endured hard times. It was expelled from the mob's ruling Commission after the Brasco fiasco.

Massino, a close friend and neighbor of the late Gambino boss John Gotti, helped the Bonannos regain some of their stature.

Bonanno Boss Indicted

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196172
01/10/03 02:02 AM
01/10/03 02:02 AM
Indulanin
Bugsy Offline
Button
Bugsy  Offline
Button
Indulanin
Awesome article, Iceman.

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196173
01/10/03 02:04 AM
01/10/03 02:04 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Thanks for posting that story, Iceman. I heard a very brief synopsis on the TV news tonight, and was looking for the real story.
Interestingly: in the movie, "Donnie Brasco," Lefty Ruggiero pays the Mafia price for bringing Pistone into the crew. In real life, as the article says, Dominick (Sonny Black) Napolitano was held responsible. His body, minus hands, was found months after he disappeared. Lefty got lucky: he went to jail before the Mob could whack him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196174
01/10/03 11:00 AM
01/10/03 11:00 AM
Sleaford, Lincs, England
the mattress Offline
Capo
the mattress  Offline
Capo
Sleaford, Lincs, England
Did lefty go into witness protection after he was in jail? I cant believe that he wasent clipped in jail!

"We're showin' the flag"

"The flag of fuckin' Antarctica"
Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196175
01/10/03 02:52 PM
01/10/03 02:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by the mattress:
Did lefty go into witness protection after he was in jail? I cant believe that he wasent clipped in jail!
It is hard to believe, but Lefty was offered the Witness Protection Program if he testified against the Bonannos--and he declined. So he was sentenced to 20 years--and wasn't clipped. He served 13, was released in '92 and died three years later of cancer--in bed.

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196176
01/10/03 04:26 PM
01/10/03 04:26 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[quote]Originally posted by the mattress:
[b]Did lefty go into witness protection after he was in jail? I cant believe that he wasent clipped in jail!
It is hard to believe, but Lefty was offered the Witness Protection Program if he testified against the Bonannos--and he declined. So he was sentenced to 20 years--and wasn't clipped. He served 13, was released in '92 and died three years later of cancer--in bed.[/b][/quote]he was killed at the end of Donnie Brasco, did he in real life?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196177
01/10/03 07:30 PM
01/10/03 07:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I posted earlier, in this very same thread, that in real life, Lefty went to prison and Sonny got whacked.

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196178
01/11/03 02:04 PM
01/11/03 02:04 PM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Iceman

thanks for posting that article, I thought it was really interesting. I can't believe after all this time someone is taking the rap for Sonny Blacks death!!!
Crazy I know, but I always felt sorry for Sonny Black getting whacked I think I got to like him after I read the book...(Donnie Brasco)I must be going soft

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196179
01/11/03 06:08 PM
01/11/03 06:08 PM
Sleaford, Lincs, England
the mattress Offline
Capo
the mattress  Offline
Capo
Sleaford, Lincs, England
Im wondering how they have any idea that he would have done it (especially after all this time)? Through wiretaps or something like that?

"We're showin' the flag"

"The flag of fuckin' Antarctica"
Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196180
01/12/03 01:41 AM
01/12/03 01:41 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by the mattress:
Im wondering how they have any idea that he would have done it (especially after all this time)? Through wiretaps or something like that?
Probably squealers. If they had wiretaps or bugs on Massino, they probably would have used them earlier. But who knows how many people might have squealed between then and now?

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196181
01/12/03 10:26 AM
01/12/03 10:26 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
...and don't you think they probably have a good idea who's done the dirty deed pretty early on, but, proving it, or getting people to stand and testify to it is a different kettle of fish??!!

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196182
01/12/03 12:51 PM
01/12/03 12:51 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Family Honour:
...and don't you think they probably have a good idea who's done the dirty deed pretty early on, but, proving it, or getting people to stand and testify to it is a different kettle of fish??!!
Sure! In most US courts, a felony conviction requires a "corroborating witness"--someone who can independently verify the charges against a defendant in addition to the main witness and/or electronic surveillance. That's how Gotti got convicted: the surveillance built the case, but Sammy Da Bull's testimony sent him away. One of the reasons that RICO (Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization) cases have been so successful in putting away gangsters is that the law charges defendants with conspiracy to use an organization for criminal ends. No corroborating witnesses are required in conspiracy cases.

Re: Reputed Bonanno Boss Indicted on Murder charges #196183
01/12/03 11:07 PM
01/12/03 11:07 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Fella's? It's not only the Bonnanos that are being Pursued by the Feds. But Also the Colombo. And Gambinos at the moment

As I read the N.Y. Post it mentions that the current Boss (don't remember his name) had devised the murder of a Cop as well as a high ranking attorney. He is also being brought up on charges of turning his Clubs into Gambling Spots and other crimes.

It said in the Ny Post that a high ranking Gambino Captain, who ran a gambling operation in Queens, is being set for trial Feb 28th. If he squeals then the Gambinos are wiped out. They could say goodbye to their territories in Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. The fate of the Family lies within this Captain's mouth. They will completely be disbanded if he talks.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull