GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,589
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I need a translation.... #21579
02/06/05 01:25 AM
02/06/05 01:25 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Ok folks, I need someone to tell me what something meant.

In the scene where Connie finally gets to meet with Michael, Michael informs Merle that he is going to meet with his sister alone, and dismisses Merle. After a little exchange between Carlo and Michael, Carlo makes it clear that he and Connie are getting married. Connie tells Michael that she needs money to "book passage on the Queen." Then, Carlo asks for something to drink at which Michael replies, "Kai vooi". Then, very frustrated, Connie says, "Al, will you please get Merle a drink?" Can anyone provide the translation for "kai vooi" for me? I usually put the "CC" on when I don't hear or understand something, but this time it didn't help me any. I greatly appreciate your help in this.

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: I need a translation.... #21580
02/06/05 01:34 AM
02/06/05 01:34 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Also, does anyone know what Mama said to Tom at the dinner table with Frank P., Michael, Kay, Fredo, Deanna, and others and then Deanna said to someone, "What did she mean by that?" Mama said something in Italian very softly to Tom, but there was no translation. Does anyone know what she said?

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: I need a translation.... #21581
02/06/05 02:10 AM
02/06/05 02:10 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Lollie:
Ok folks, I need someone to tell me what something meant.

In the scene where Connie finally gets to meet with Michael, Michael informs Merle that he is going to meet with his sister alone, and dismisses Merle. After a little exchange between Carlo and Michael, Carlo makes it clear that he and Connie are getting married. Connie tells Michael that she needs money to "book passage on the Queen." Then, Carlo asks for something to drink at which Michael replies, "Kai vooi". Then, very frustrated, Connie says, "Al, will you please get Merle a drink?" Can anyone provide the translation for "kai vooi" for me? I usually put the "CC" on when I don't hear or understand something, but this time it didn't help me any. I greatly appreciate your help in this.

~~ Lolly
You are mixing up GF1 and GF2. Merle is the guy in the scene you are talking about. Carlo is in GF1 he dies at the end.

I believe he says "Que Voi" or something like that, *taking it from spanish now* probably means something like "Who are you?"
Merle sits down and asks MICHAEL CORLEONE for a drink, Mike is simply saying Who the hell are you to come in here and ask ME to get something for you.- that is my take on it anyway.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I need a translation.... #21582
02/06/05 02:19 AM
02/06/05 02:19 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Lollie:
Also, does anyone know what Mama said to Tom at the dinner table with Frank P., Michael, Kay, Fredo, Deanna, and others and then Deanna said to someone, "What did she mean by that?" Mama said something in Italian very softly to Tom, but there was no translation. Does anyone know what she said?

~~ Lolly
I checked out a few sites (including JG's) and all it says is "Reference about Deanna and Fredo"

I don't really remember the scene, but what she said might not even have been words.

It might have been something where Mama Corleone is just supposed to say SOMETHING to Tom and you can tell by her body what she means.

Also if it was "Italian" there is nothing saying it was real Italian words. I watched a movie a while back with my grandmother who speaks Italian. The people whispered something back and forth to each other, the first guy said NOTHING the words were just made up, the second guy responded with something like Horse balloon Hat Car- if you get what I am saying.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I need a translation.... #21583
02/06/05 05:37 PM
02/06/05 05:37 PM
NYC
Donfanucci Offline
Wiseguy
Donfanucci  Offline
Wiseguy
NYC
its "Que voi" and its sicilian and it means, Whats up or What do you want?

You've got balls, young man! How come I never heard of you before? You've got a lot of guts. I'll find you some work for good money.
Re: I need a translation.... #21584
02/06/05 05:39 PM
02/06/05 05:39 PM
NYC
Donfanucci Offline
Wiseguy
Donfanucci  Offline
Wiseguy
NYC
Also what mama tells tom in sicilian is that Merle and Deana are good for eachother.

You've got balls, young man! How come I never heard of you before? You've got a lot of guts. I'll find you some work for good money.
Re: I need a translation.... #21585
02/06/05 10:46 PM
02/06/05 10:46 PM
Chicago
GoHawks4 Offline
Wiseguy
GoHawks4  Offline
Wiseguy
Chicago
I think it's che vuoi.

Re: I need a translation.... #21586
02/07/05 03:51 AM
02/07/05 03:51 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by GoHawks4:
I think it's che vuoi.
I don't remember the scene at all, but if it's actually "che vuoi?" it is Italian and definitely means "what do you want?".

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: I need a translation.... #21587
02/07/05 07:43 AM
02/07/05 07:43 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Thanks everyone for your help! The only thing I would tend to disagree with is that the actors just used any old Italian words. With the perfecrtion and precision that Coppola (sp?), Puzo, and the actors put into this movie, I doubt if they would want to use gibberish--even if it was in Italian. I think they knew that this movie (these movies) was going to be watched by a lot of Italians and those Italians would probably speak some level of the language. True? In that case, I doubt if anyone would want to be thought of as a fool with regard to the language. I would definitely believe it with other movies, though!

It makes sense to me that the two words Michael uttered said something to the effect of "Who are you?" Because it would make sense for Connie to then reply with a frustratedcall to Al.

~~ Lolly

Re: I need a translation.... #21588
02/07/05 10:03 AM
02/07/05 10:03 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
In the scene where Merle asks for a drink, Michael completely ignores him, and turns to Connie and says, "che vuoi?", meaning "what do you want?". It is Michael's way of completely dismissing Merle, as if he doesn't exist. I think he does this since Merle wouldn't leave when Michael told him that he wanted to talk to his sister alone. Connie then asks Al to get Merle a drink, which is her way of defying Michael.

During the dinner, Merle and Deanna are introduced to each other. Deanna almost purrs when she shakes Merle's hand. Mama mumbles to Tom, in Italian, that the two of them are very much alike, which was NOT a compliment.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull