GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, 2 invisible), 783 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,489
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,443
Posts1,061,054
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mob rankings #195469
09/17/02 04:55 PM
09/17/02 04:55 PM
New York
Salvatore Tessio Offline OP
Made Member
Salvatore Tessio  Offline OP
Made Member
New York
Some one tell me the ranks of the mafia? I know there are boos, underboss, consigliere, and capo. But what are lieutenats? What is the difference between a soldier and a buttonman? What is a wiseguy?

How u doin
Re: mob rankings #195470
09/17/02 05:15 PM
09/17/02 05:15 PM
South Florida
Goodfella 69 Offline
Underboss
Goodfella 69  Offline
Underboss
South Florida
Do a search for this cause I know theres many other threads of the same topic but because Im bored I think the ranking goes as listed...

Boss
Underboss
Consigliere
Capo
ButtonMan/Soldier/WiseGuy/Goodfella
Associate - not a made guy

"Murders came with smiles, shooting people was no big deal for us Goodfellas..."
Re: mob rankings #195471
09/17/02 06:05 PM
09/17/02 06:05 PM
neatd99 Offline
Button
neatd99  Offline
Button
1. Capo Crimini/Capo de tutti capi (super boss/boss of bosses)

2. Boss(kind of self explanatory)

3. Consigliere (trusted advisor or family counselor)

4. Capo Bastone (Underboss, second in command)

5. Contabile (financial advisor)

6. Caporegime or Capodecina (lieutenant, typically heads a faction of ten or more soldiers comprising a “crew.”)

7. Sgarrista (a foot soldier who carries out the day to day business of the family. A “made” member of the Mafia)

8. Piciotto (lower-ranking soldiers; enforcers. Also known in the streets as the “button man.”)

9. Giovane D’Honore (Mafia associate, typically a non-Sicilian or non-Italian member)

Now, I may be wrong about all of this. I think Boss of bosses is a term used by the media to identify the boss of the most powerful family in New York. I might of mixed up Underboss and Consigliere. Well, at least I tried.

Il Sangue Lava Il Sangue
Re: mob rankings #195472
09/17/02 10:51 PM
09/17/02 10:51 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Wiseguy is a "made GUy" like Billy Batts or Joe Pesci(Tommy) on GoodFellas "going" to be made.
Associates are Henry Hill and Jimmy Conway. they can,t be made coz they are not 100% italian.

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: mob rankings #195473
09/18/02 06:52 PM
09/18/02 06:52 PM
The Netherlands
Don Michel Offline
Underboss
Don Michel  Offline
Underboss
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
they can,t be made coz they are not 100% italian.
Since a year or three it isn't necessary to be 100% Italian to become the made status. Your father must be Italian, your mother doesn't matter.

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is userfriendly. It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
Re: mob rankings #195474
09/19/02 09:03 PM
09/19/02 09:03 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Quote:
Originally posted by Salvatore Tessio:
Some one tell me the ranks of the mafia? I know there are boos, underboss, consigliere, and capo. But what are lieutenats? What is the difference between a soldier and a buttonman? What is a wiseguy?

No rank is a liuetenant.Some use that term for certain ranks but that's not the right word for it. There are Dons, underbosses, Conseglieres, Capos (Captains), and, finally, footsoldier

Re: mob rankings [Re: Don Michel] #357956
01/20/07 08:10 PM
01/20/07 08:10 PM
United States
A
Ayperi Offline
Button
Ayperi  Offline
A
Button
United States
I didn't know the rules had changed. I thought to be 'made' you must be 100% italian with no exceptions. Why has this changed?

Re: mob rankings [Re: Salvatore Tessio] #359468
01/29/07 01:22 PM
01/29/07 01:22 PM
New York
S
Santino_Farricko Offline
Associate
Santino_Farricko  Offline
S
Associate
New York
I thought that Charles 'Lucky' Luciano did away with the rank of Capo di Tutti Capi?

Godere essendo italiano, from Palermo to New York - My Voyage, My Life
Re: mob rankings [Re: Ayperi] #359474
01/29/07 01:33 PM
01/29/07 01:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Ayperi
I didn't know the rules had changed. I thought to be 'made' you must be 100% italian with no exceptions. Why has this changed?

It seems that due to the thinning ranks of "capable" Italians and competition from other ethnic gangs, the "rules" have become a bit relaxed.
It's said that some families will now make an exception if the "recruit" is Italian on his father's side, whereas way back when, one had to be 100% Italian.
The best example would probably be John Gotti Jr, whose mother is Russian-Jewish. It is now rumored that due to the defections and legal troubles of the last decade, the old rules are going to be re-enforced.

Last edited by pizzaboy; 01/29/07 10:14 PM.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: mob rankings [Re: Santino_Farricko] #359477
01/29/07 01:37 PM
01/29/07 01:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Santino_Farricko
I thought that Charles 'Lucky' Luciano did away with the rank of Capo di Tutti Capi?

He did, verbally. While he said that there would no longer be a Boss of Bosses when he took over, in essence he was still the Capo Di Tutti Capi, but made it appear more business like in becoming the Chairman of a board of directors. He made it appear as though he was the Chairman ( Boss ) amongst equals.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: mob rankings [Re: pizzaboy] #359607
01/29/07 09:54 PM
01/29/07 09:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
[quote=Ayperi]It's said that some families will now make an exception if the "recruit" is Italian on his father's side, whereas way back when, one had to be 100% Italian.

According to Joe (Donnie Brasco) Pistone, in his book, "The Way of the Wiseguy," the "rules" were changed to allow people with only an Italian father. Could be true. On the other hand, you have to wonder if the Commission calls him periodically to update him on rules changes.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: mob rankings [Re: Turnbull] #359609
01/29/07 10:00 PM
01/29/07 10:00 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

This thread was bump up after 5 years that quite something.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: mob rankings [Re: Don Cardi] #359623
01/29/07 11:16 PM
01/29/07 11:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

He did, verbally. While he said that there would no longer be a Boss of Bosses when he took over, in essence he was still the Capo Di Tutti Capi, but made it appear more business like in becoming the Chairman of a board of directors. He made it appear as though he was the Chairman ( Boss ) amongst equals.

Don Cardi

Just to reinforce:
According to Joe Bonanno in his autobiography, "A Man of Honor": When Luciano formed the Commission, he did not declare himself chairman. He appointed Al Capone as chairman, and Joe Bonanno as secretary. Luciano was "just a member."
This was an example of Luciano's brilliance. Though born in Sicily, he was a thoroughly American businessman.
Salvatore Maranzano had declared himself capo di tutti capi. This was a real "moustache Pete" move, and it made Maranzano very unpopular--leading to a call by the younger Mafiosi for Luciano to whack Maranzano (who was planning to whack Luciano). Charlie wasn't going to make the same mistake by declaring himself capo di tutti capi. There was no need to: Everyone knew he was first among equals because he'd proved himself.
Luciano was a Mob pragmatist. He appointed Capone as "chairman" of the Commission--even though Capone wasn't a Sicilian and his Outfit not a Mafia family--because he wanted to keep the powerful but renegade Chicagoans "in the fold" and "at the table." He named Bonanno as "secretary" because Bonanno, despite his youth, was an old-fashioned guy who was stand-offish and had little use for non-Sicilians like Lansky, Siegel, Capone and Dutch Shultz. The "honor" that Luciano accorded him by naming him "secretary" of the Commission was designed to keep him in the fold and get him to buy into Commission practices and rulings. Clever fellow, Luciano!

Last edited by Turnbull; 01/29/07 11:18 PM.

Re: mob rankings [Re: Turnbull] #359624
01/29/07 11:42 PM
01/29/07 11:42 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Great points all, TB.
I'd just like to add that not only did Joe Bonanno have no use for non Sicilians, he had little use for those born outside of his town, Castellammare del Golfo.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: mob rankings [Re: pizzaboy] #359695
01/30/07 09:52 AM
01/30/07 09:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Thank you Turnbull. There are so many different accounts of this, that one can easily get confused. But you always seem to have the correct and most supported account.

I believe that in one of the books written about this ( offhand I cannot remember which one) it claimed that Capone declined the offer to be the "Chairman" of the board and in return nominated Luciano. Do you recall ever reading this version of the story?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: mob rankings [Re: Don Cardi] #359715
01/30/07 02:02 PM
01/30/07 02:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe that in one of the books written about this ( offhand I cannot remember which one) it claimed that Capone declined the offer to be the "Chairman" of the board and in return nominated Luciano. Do you recall ever reading this version of the story?

Don Cardi

Not offhand, DC, but it could be. As you note, there are always many and conflicting accounts of things that did (and didn't) happen. "Chairman" and "Secretary" were meaningless anyway, since Luciano was running the show, and everyone knew it.
Can you picture Bonanno as "secretary" of the Commission--taking down notes of the meetings in shorthand, typing them up, distributing them to members, leaving a record of the proceedings for law enforcement...

Last edited by Turnbull; 01/30/07 02:03 PM.

Re: mob rankings [Re: pizzaboy] #359716
01/30/07 02:17 PM
01/30/07 02:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'd just like to add that not only did Joe Bonanno have no use for non Sicilians, he had little use for those born outside of his town, Castellammare del Golfo.

True, pb. The guy was really insular and close-minded. So the result was that Gaspar diGregorio, his underboss and best man at his wedding, betrayed him.
There's a great story about Gaspar that Bonanno put in his autobio:
Bonanno left the US for a "vacation" in Italy in 1957 (really a meeting with Luciano and his cohorts to put together a big drug deal). His driver's license needed to be renewed, so before he left, Bonanno gave it to DiGregorio to take care of. Gaspar put it in his wallet and promptly forgot about it.
The famous, aborted Apalachin meeting occurred after Bonanno returned. Bonanno didn't attend, but he sent DiGregorio to represent him. Gaspar was among those busted by the cops. They confiscated his wallet, found Bonanno's driver's license in it--and identified Gaspar as Bonanno. So, after years of carefully trying to hide his identity as a Mafia boss, Bonanno was exposed, wrongly, as an Apalachin attendee thanks to diGregorio's dumbness. Gaspar must have been the model for the joke about the Mafia guy who was drummed out of La Cosa Nostra for stupidity: they sent him to blow up a car--he burned his lips on the tailpipe.

Re: mob rankings [Re: Turnbull] #359720
01/30/07 02:31 PM
01/30/07 02:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Can you picture Bonanno as "secretary" of the Commission--taking down notes of the meetings in shorthand, typing them up, distributing them to members, leaving a record of the proceedings for law enforcement...

.............fetching Meyer's coffee!

As you said, there are so many different versions of the truth.

One book that I sort of hold as almost Mob gospel is a book that you and I have both talked about many times in the past...

The Five Families.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: mob rankings [Re: Don Cardi] #359730
01/30/07 02:57 PM
01/30/07 02:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
One book that I sort of hold as almost Mob gospel is a book that you and I have both talked about many times in the past...

The Five Families.

Don Cardi

Yes indeed!
I'm reading a pretty interesting book now: "The Brotherhoods" by Guy Lawson and William Oldham. It's about the two cops who were convicted in 2005 of killing for Anthony (Gaspipe) Casso, the Luchese boss. The book goes into immense, agonizing detail about the backgrounds of everyone even remotely connected to the cops and the Mob. But if you hang in, you get some fascinating stories.
As for "fetching Meyer's coffee" :
..."uh, Joe, be sure to give me Sweet 'n Low--no sugar..."

Last edited by Turnbull; 01/30/07 02:59 PM.

Re: mob rankings [Re: Turnbull] #359759
01/30/07 03:51 PM
01/30/07 03:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Very true TB. To go further in proving DiGregorio's ineptness, the commission eventually pulled him as boss at the height of the "Banana War" in favor of Paul Sciacca, for botching a hit on a young Bill Bonanno.
What's amazing is that, considering that he fell out of favor with both the Bonannos and the commission, he was allowed to live out his days, for all intents and purposes retired, and die from cancer in 1970.

Last edited by pizzaboy; 01/30/07 03:56 PM.

Re: mob rankings [Re: Santino_Farricko] #360295
02/01/07 04:27 PM
02/01/07 04:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

My Dad was Napolitan and spoke Italian. I asked him one time about capo di tutti capo and he said he had never heard of it and it didn't sound right. He said each word means what it means, but it sounds made up. I think it may be an urban legend.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull