GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 565 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,437
Posts1,060,983
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21361
02/02/05 10:57 AM
02/02/05 10:57 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline OP
Underboss
svsg  Offline OP
Underboss
Existential Well
How did michael come to such a conclusion. I know that Vito says that whoever comes with barzini meeting is a traitor. Even at Vito's funeral, michael tells Tom about this. But how could he be so sure? Why couldn't it have been a genuine meeting to make peace. Why didn't Tessio pretend as if he did not understatnd why michael refused to go with him in the car? Is it described in the novel (I haven't read it yet)?

Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21362
02/02/05 11:18 AM
02/02/05 11:18 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Even without reading the novel, it is easy to see how Michael was able to conclude that Tessio turned traitor. For one thing, Tessio openly questioned Michael in the meeting with Vito, Tom, Clemenza, Carlo, & Michael. Tessio boldly stated "Mike, you're wrong." He didn't believe that Michael was making the move out of strength, but out of weakness. In addition, Vito told Michael that someone close would betray him.

In the novel, it's stated that Vito ordered the phones of Tessio & Clemenza to be monitored.

Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21363
02/02/05 11:45 AM
02/02/05 11:45 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The Don also says"Who ever comes to you the meet,hes the trator. smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21364
02/02/05 06:12 PM
02/02/05 06:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by goombah:
For one thing, Tessio openly questioned Michael in the meeting with Vito, Tom, Clemenza, Carlo, & Michael. Tessio boldly stated "Mike, you're wrong." He didn't believe that Michael was making the move out of strength, but out of weakness. In addition, Vito told Michael that someone close would betray him.

Yes. And two other things:
1. In that same meeting, Vito says to the two caporegimes: "Do you value my advice?" "Always, Godfather," answers loyal Clemenza. Tessio answers, "Yes," in a choked voice that sounded more like a hiss.
2. At Vito's funeral, check out how chummy Tessio seems with Barzini--and note how Michael's watching.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21365
02/03/05 07:13 AM
02/03/05 07:13 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
One more thing. Vito and Michael knew very well that Barzini cannot propose "genuine" peace talk.
His goal is to take over the Corleone family, and the best decision for him is to get rid of Mike. Even if they succeeded carefully decieving him about their knowlege of his implication in Sonny's death and attempts at Vito and Michael, they knew both that there's a place on earth for one of them only, Either Barzini or Mike. The winner will be the first to hit. So Mike expected B. to act quickly, and in the most safe way - as Mike says in the book, "Barzini will set me up through somebody close that, supposedly, I can't suspect."
The rest is pure logic- and Mike was always good at logic... wink

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21366
02/03/05 09:49 AM
02/03/05 09:49 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline OP
Underboss
svsg  Offline OP
Underboss
Existential Well
So when did the situation change from "some one close, some one who will propose brazini meeting, some one who is unhappy with mike taking over, etc. etc" to "Tessio is THE traitor"?

I guess it must have been the funeral, because the tapping of phone and Tessio expressing dissent, both happened before Vito died. But Vito did not know conclusively if the traitor would be tessio or clemenza or any one else.

Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21367
02/03/05 10:32 AM
02/03/05 10:32 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
True, there was never any HARDCORE proof that Tessio was the traitor (like a scene with him talking to Barzini and saying "Don't worry, he'll be there. He trusts me." or something like that) but it kinda just added up. Maybe poor Tessio was innocent all along. lol

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21368
02/03/05 06:18 PM
02/03/05 06:18 PM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
Even if the proof wasnt concrete they had to be sure. Tessios guilt was obvious when Hagen confronted him anyway.

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21369
02/04/05 02:21 AM
02/04/05 02:21 AM
BEIJING CHINA
4th Corleone Offline
Wiseguy
4th Corleone  Offline
Wiseguy
BEIJING CHINA
i think there is a detail u guys maybe not mention.
in the novel,when vito is young,he wanted to give politic protection to a Don with gambling(i'm a Chinese,so i read the Chinese version,i don't know exactly that silly Don's name.),but he refused vito's advise,so vito,killed him ,and that way was same as Tessio's,arrange a meeting with that Don,and kill him(it was Tessio who kill that Don,and he wanted to use the same way to kill mikey)

“Don't lie to me. It insults my intelligence. It makes me very angry.”- Michael Coreleone
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21370
02/09/05 01:52 AM
02/09/05 01:52 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
I have a question about this same thing, only I was going to start a new thread. Since this is the same scenario, I thought I would ask my question here because it involves the same incident.

Since Tessio is the traitor, and Clemenza and Tessio seemed to be inseparable, how did Clemenza feel about Tessio trying to have Mike killed? It is only logical that since both of them were unhappy with the decisions that Mike was making, that they must have discussed this with each other. Tessio must have informed Clemenza of his plans with Barzini, right? And yet, we see Clemenza assassinating those guys in the elevator along with the rest of the assassins that day. Even though Clemenza wasn't the "smartest" as Michael said, he certainly was the most loyal and that is something anyone would want over smarts in a friend. NO?

Does the book mention anything about Clemenza and Tessio during this time when Tessio decides to betray Mike?

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21371
02/09/05 06:35 AM
02/09/05 06:35 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Lollie, Vito made such a setting that Tessio and Clemenza wouldn't have any intercourse even socially. They were not inseparable, they met only in cases of emergency. They owned different territories in the city. And Tessio would never trust C. with his plans, why should he? It's too much of a risk.

Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21372
02/09/05 08:59 PM
02/09/05 08:59 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
JM:

Thanks for the response! Your answer does make sense except for one thing. Clemenza, Tessio and Vito were a "team" from almost the beginning and looking at it from a non mob focus, it seems like Clemenza and Tessio might have had difficulties with each other because of their differing "loyalties", right? But, again, like you said, the whole situation was not "normal", was it? This man Vito did pull the strings.

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: How did michael conclude that Tessio was a traitor? #21373
02/10/05 10:03 AM
02/10/05 10:03 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Lollie:
JM:

Thanks for the response! Your answer does make sense except for one thing. Clemenza, Tessio and Vito were a "team" from almost the beginning and looking at it from a non mob focus, it seems like Clemenza and Tessio might have had difficulties with each other because of their differing "loyalties", right?
You're welcome, Lollie. Only expand your thought a little - why should they have problems with each other? Which difference in loyalties you mean? confused

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull