GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CabriniGreen, GangstersInc), 652 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,483
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,442
Posts1,061,034
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather Questions #21233
01/26/05 06:26 PM
01/26/05 06:26 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Hi!

I've seen the Godfather movies (I and II) many, many times over the past years. I've only seen GFIII once--maybe twice. It just didn't have the same impact on me as GFI and GFII. But, there are a number of things that I've never been able to figure out about the story. I am going to ask the questions here and if anyone has the time, I would greatly appreciate it!

1. In GFII, Michael tells various people that he thinks that other people tried to kill him. For example: he told Hyman Roth that Frank P. tried to have him killed, then he went to visit Frank P. in his home and told him that he thought that it was Hyman Roth who tried to have him killed. He told his brother Fredo something else--I think he said that he didn't know who tried to have him killed. I can't seem to figure out if Michael was saying those things to throw off the person he was speaking to, or if he really believed what he said at the time. Was it Fredo who was involved in having Michael killed? Why did he (Fredo) tell Johnny Ola on the phone that "they" had misled him? Why didn't he (Fredo) want Michael to know that he knew Johnny Ola and Hyman Roth and that he knew them fairly well?

2. I am confused about something Vito Corleon said in the first GF. In the car with Tom after the meeting with the heads of the 5 families, Tom asked the Don if he should insist on having the people who would be working with the drugs have clean records. The Don said to him "Mention it, but don't insist. Barzini will know to do that." then Tom said, "You mean Tataglia?" and then the Don said, "Tataglia's a pimp. Until tonight I didn't know it was Barzini all the time." What did he mean by that? Why did he call Tagalia a pimp?

3. Did Michael have Carlo Rizzi killed because Carlo had something to do with Sonny's assasination? If he did, what exactly did Carlo do?

4. In GFIII, somehow Kay and Michael seem to get back together at least on a friendly basis. I don't know about other Italian families, but I know about mine. If one of my uncles had divorced, distanced himself, or split up with a wife or even a girlfriend, there would be no way that that woman would ever be a part of his life again. Who came up with this storyline? I had a very hard time believing any of the storylines in GFIII except the part about the Vatican being involved with something underhanded. (I'm Catholic and I love my Church, but that doesn't mean I have to be blind to it's mistakes!)

5. There was a comment on this board that I read where someone who was critiquing the actors and other things about the whole GF trilogy. The one thing that I wanted to bring up was that this person said that all of the actors were perfect in their roles no matter what it was, and the writer said that the movie couldn't have had better actors and actresses in the parts than it did. The writer then went on to say that the only weak link in the actor/actress was Talia Shire. The writer said that he/she thought that Talia Shire was terrible. I thought she was quite good and very appropriate for the part she was playing. I think her character fit perfectly especially in what Gianni Rizzo in his part as Carlo kept yelling at her and saying, "You're nothing but a spoiled, Guinea brat!" And that is exactly how she portrayed Connie. Am I missing something here with Talia Shire?

6. What was the purpose of the men "going to the mattresses"? Why would they have to go live somewhere else all together? And, why did Michael have to go to Italy for over a year when he killed Solotzzo and McClusky? Why couldn't he "go to the mattresses" too?

7. Why was Vito so fearless when dealing with Fanuuci and some of the other big shots when he was younger? It almost seemed as if he had planned this as a young boy. A very big difference in personalities from a young boy to a young married man.

I guess that's all. Sorry to lay all of this on you. I've been wondering some of these things for a very long time and it seems like this is the place to get them answered!

~~ Lolly blush

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Godfather Questions #21234
01/26/05 06:36 PM
01/26/05 06:36 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Sorry! I forgot a question!

When Michael was having his meeting with Senator Geary, Michael said something to the effect that "Turnbull is a good man." I had heard this other people using this name before--I thought Turnbull was the go-between-man for the senator and Michael (on Geary's team). So, this statement doesn't make sense to me. Which character was Turnbull? Was he shown in the movie at all?

Thanks again!

~~ Lolly rolleyes

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Godfather Questions #21235
01/26/05 09:37 PM
01/26/05 09:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Lollie:
Sorry! I forgot a question!

When Michael was having his meeting with Senator Geary, Michael said something to the effect that "Turnbull is a good man." I had heard this other people using this name before--I thought Turnbull was the go-between-man for the senator and Michael (on Geary's team). So, this statement doesn't make sense to me. Which character was Turnbull? Was he shown in the movie at all?

Thanks again!

~~ Lolly rolleyes
See my explanation of Turnbull here:

http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004794#000013

No, he didn't appear in the film.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godfather Questions #21236
01/26/05 09:40 PM
01/26/05 09:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Lolly, you owe it to yourself to watch the films again so that you can appreciate all the richness of detail and subtlety that keeps us going here. smile To answer your questions briefly:

1. In GFII, Michael tells various people that he thinks that other people tried to kill him. I can't seem to figure out if Michael was saying those things to throw off the person he was speaking to, or if he really believed what he said at the time. Was it Fredo who was involved in having Michael killed? Why did he (Fredo) tell Johnny Ola on the phone that "they" had misled him? Why didn't he (Fredo) want Michael to know that he knew Johnny Ola and Hyman Roth and that he knew them fairly well?
Yes, he was trying to lull Roth into thinking that he blamed Frankie for the Tahoe shooting. He told Frankie what he really believed--that Roth was behind the shooting--to get Frankie to settle his problems with the Rosato brothers. That move would make Roth think that his deal with Michael was still good, and that Michael didn't suspect Roth. Michael needed time to find out who the traitor was. As for Fredo, whatever he did for Johnny Ola and Roth (most people here think he opened the blinds to Michael and Kay's bedroom), he evidently wasn't told by them that it'd lead to an attempted hit.

2. I am confused about something Vito Corleon said in the first GF. In the car with Tom after the meeting with the heads of the 5 families, Tom asked the Don if he should insist on having the people who would be working with the drugs have clean records. The Don said to him "Mention it, but don't insist. Barzini will know to do that." then Tom said, "You mean Tataglia?" and then the Don said, "Tataglia's a pimp. Until tonight I didn't know it was Barzini all the time." What did he mean by that? Why did he call Tagalia a pimp?
Because Tattaglia's business was prostitution. Vito disapproved of prostitution.

3. Did Michael have Carlo Rizzi killed because Carlo had something to do with Sonny's assasination? If he did, what exactly did Carlo do?
Carlo deliberately beat up Connie for the second time because he knew she'd call the Mall--and that Sonny would come roaring after him. That's how Sonny's murder on the causeway was set up.

4. In GFIII, somehow Kay and Michael seem to get back together at least on a friendly basis. I don't know about other Italian families, but I know about mine. If one of my uncles had divorced, distanced himself, or split up with a wife or even a girlfriend, there would be no way that that woman would ever be a part of his life again. Who came up with this storyline? I had a very hard time believing any of the storylines in GFIII except the part about the Vatican being involved with something underhanded. (I'm Catholic and I love my Church, but that doesn't mean I have to be blind to it's mistakes!)
You and a lot of other people here (including me) had problems with the storylines in GFIII. It's a major weakness of the film.

5. There was a comment on this board that I read where someone who was critiquing the actors and other things about the whole GF trilogy. The one thing that I wanted to bring up was that this person said that all of the actors were perfect in their roles no matter what it was, and the writer said that the movie couldn't have had better actors and actresses in the parts than it did. The writer then went on to say that the only weak link in the actor/actress was Talia Shire. The writer said that he/she thought that Talia Shire was terrible. I thought she was quite good and very appropriate for the part she was playing. I think her character fit perfectly especially in what Gianni Rizzo in his part as Carlo kept yelling at her and saying, "You're nothing but a spoiled, Guinea brat!" And that is exactly how she portrayed Connie. Am I missing something here with Talia Shire?
Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Perhaps some people didn't like the character she played, rather than the job she did portraying the character.

6. What was the purpose of the men "going to the mattresses"? Why would they have to go live somewhere else all together? And, why did Michael have to go to Italy for over a year when he killed Solotzzo and McClusky? Why couldn't he "go to the mattresses" too?
During a war, mobs "go to the mattresses" in order to safeguard their families against attacks on their homes, and also to create a "critical mass" of armed men who can come and go safely. During a war, an individual Mob guy can be a sitting duck for assassins--and if he happens to be at home, or walking with his family, they might get caught in the crossfire.

7. Why was Vito so fearless when dealing with Fanuuci and some of the other big shots when he was younger? It almost seemed as if he had planned this as a young boy. A very big difference in personalities from a young boy to a young married man.
Vito knew that Fanucci was all talk, no action. Fanucci posed as a "Black Hander," but Vito knew of two racketeers in the neighborhood who didn't pay off Fanucci. And, in a deleted scene, he saw two teenage boys attack Fanucci and nearly kill him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godfather Questions #21237
01/26/05 10:08 PM
01/26/05 10:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Turnbull:
When Geary says, "The license will still be in Klingman's name," Michael replies, "Turnbull is a good man." I inferred that Michael had contacted Turnbull to get on the license. And getting on a license is a public matter in Nevada.
Turnbull, when watching the scene or reading the script, in context, I have always inferred it to mean that by Mike saying "Turnbull is a good man," it was his way of telling Geary that The Corleone's are well aware of who Geary's source really is.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather Questions #21238
01/26/05 10:36 PM
01/26/05 10:36 PM
Debra Offline
Capo
Debra  Offline
Capo
Lolly, you owe it to yourself to watch the films again
Also,and even more important,you should read the book.It answers so many questions,and basically explaining things that the movie cant.Not to mention exta stories.
The book no only telling you what the characters think about many things,but Puzo also explains how the system works.The book is a masterpiece.Read it first,then watch the movies 100 times. smile

"Tataglia's a pimp. Until tonight I didn't know it was Barzini all the time." What did he mean by that? Why did he call Tagalia a pimp?

Because Tattaglia's business was prostitution. Vito disapproved of prostitution.
Also,he meant as a "pimp" that he was a small man,and never could have planned Sonny's hit.Thats why he needed Barzini.

And, why did Michael have to go to Italy for over a year when he killed Solotzzo and McClusky? Why couldn't he "go to the mattresses" too?
Michael had to go to Italy cos he was wanted by the police for killing a captain.He was wanted all over the country,no mattresses could help him if the police want him dead.

And, in a deleted scene, he saw two teenage boys attack Fanucci and nearly kill him. [/QB]
Also,and most important,what made up his mind is that Fanucci spared their lives for money,something that a powerful man that Fanucci was claiming to be will never do.
If Fanucci was really a big shot,he wouldve killed those kids,not caring about the money.
Vito saw,that by accepting the money,Fanucci was a small-timer.

Re: Godfather Questions #21239
01/27/05 07:25 AM
01/27/05 07:25 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Debra:
Also,and even more important,you should read the book.It answers so many questions,and basically explaining things that the movie cant.Not to mention exta stories.
The book no only telling you what the characters think about many things,but Puzo also explains how the system works.The book is a masterpiece.
Debra! wink
That's quite a balm on my soul! lol
Really gratified I remain grin .

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull