Originally Posted by Irishman12
TENET

Christopher Nolan is back and Hollywood, as well as movie theaters, are hoping this blockbuster will be enough to bring back the crowds. As I sat in the audience before the lights went out and the film started up, socially distancing within a movie theater and wearing a mask, I was optimistic and believed this could do just that. However, after seeing it, I'm more pessimistic now. While this is visually stunning in IMAX, Nolan tries too had here. I appreciate the originality but even at the beginning of this film, when they first introduce the inversion concept of the story, a character says to John David Washington's character to, "try not to understand it." Essentially, asking the audience to at the same time, enjoy the ride. And for the better part of the movie, that's exactly what I did. A film about an agent (Washington), attempting to prevent an arms dealer from committing world annihilation. Washington is fantastic in this with the swagger and power performance he brings to the screen. Meanwhile, Robert Pattinson is his trusty sidekick, Neil, who he quickly attaches himself to and they're off on their mission. Elizabeth Debicki plays Kat, a woman who is trapped in a loveless and violent marriage by the films villain Andrei Sator (played by Kenneth Branagh). Branagh is passable as the villain, but not menacing enough for my taste (too subdued most of the time save for the occasional outburst). Between the second and third acts is where the film begins to go off the rails as they return to the inversion aspect of the story introduced earlier, which takes us through the finale (which is a mess). A film that will be more forgettable like INTERSTELLAR, than his usual can't miss pedigree. 6/10

Nolan's movies are like filmic Rubik's Cubes. I think he tries to be too clever for his own good and ends up coming across as silly. Maybe people are catching on? A truly great movie will attain rewatch value and reward the viewer with new interpretations in an organic manner. I feel that Nolan tries to construct a puzzle piece first and then writes a movie around that. It's all highfalutin concept, striving for artistic merit, yet depends on the same gimmickry and budget as other, oft-derided, movies.

The Prestige was a good movie but it was too complicated and messy for its own good, constantly playing around with the timeline and using the "twin" trope as tools to manipulate the viewer's ability to follow the movie properly.

Needlessly pretentious!

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.