Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Lana

What is your take of Keaton's acting in the Hotel Washington scene?

It was the first time in GF and II that Kay actually showed some spunk and an attempt to stand up to her lying, manipulative husband. Keaton was very good in that scene. But, Kay folded as soon as Michael said that her plan to take the kids was "an impossibility...don't you know that I 'd use all my power..." etc.
I think you are being too harsh! on Michael

Whilst Michael became evil, ruthless, murderous crime boss same as his father [Kill or be killed in their business] I don't believe Michael was “lying, manipulative husband” to Kay

All of us know Michael here When did Michael ever lie? except one time okay two times

• Carlo's death
Michael told Kay what Kay wanted to hear! – “No”

• Frankie and Vincenzo Pentangeli
After the Senate hearing, Frankie's brother Vincenzo “came and helped”
Michael: “It was between the brothers Kay I had nothing to do with it”

Kay didn't seem happy! that Michael was “too smart to let any of them beat him”

My take, for what it is worth!
As regards “Kay actually showed some spunk and an attempt to stand up to” Michael -

• Carlo's death
It seems to me “Kay folded” after Michael's angry “enough!” slamming the table and pushing some stuff off

Kay looked down and said nothing until Michael's “Alright This one time -- this one time I'll let you ask me about my affairs”

• Hotel Washington abortion
It seems to me Kay did not fold Kay was spunky right up to the end “I will [take the children] They're my children too” Futile though

I feel, Kay was among others, somewhat foolish to tell Michael “It was an abortion” after “Michael said that her plan to take the kids was "an impossibility...don't you know that I'd use all my power..." etc.” as if that would make “her plan” possible