Originally Posted by Turnbull
COMA (1978)

A surgery intern at a big Boston hospital (Genevieve Bujold) gets suspicious because a large number of young patients having routine surgical procedures emerge from anesthesia in irreversible comas. She single-mindedly tries to investigate despite patronizing tut-tutting from hospital bigshots and discouragement from her fellow surgical intern and boyfriend (Michael Douglas), who's afraid her persistence will threaten his plans to become chief resident. Things turn deadly against her, but after some hair-raising escapes, she uncovers a vast plot by hospital doctors to harvest the comatose patients' vital organs and sell them to the highest bidder. The villain-in-chief is the hospital's top surgeon (Richard Widmark, my favorite bad guy), who tries and almost succeeds in putting her into a coma. Despite straining credibility at times, this is a very good thriller, with fine performances by the principals.

It has been years since I seen it. There were a lot of young and unknown actors in it, Rip Torn, Ed Harris, Michael Douglas, there is one more I can't remember but was a patient. It based on a Robin Cook book. Some great moments in the film.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green