Originally Posted by Bussetta

When Michael asks Tom to leave so he can speak to Johnny in private, when Tom leaves the room, the camera lingers on him for a pretty long time while you can still hear Michael and Johnny talk. Just thought that was an interesting shot.

Good catch! If I'm remembering this correctly, I think that shot is designed to show the ongoing dissatisfaction/humiliation of Tom as he is pushed out of certain aspects of the Family business.

Originally Posted by Bussetta
During Roth's birthday scene on the roof, I'm not sure if I overthought this, but it seemed like Michael was absolutely trying to sour the mood. Roth is very friendly, making sure everyone sees the cake and makes a little quip about his birthday, and distributes his territory. Then Mike starts talking about the rebels. This is understandable, because of the Lake Tahoe hit, I just thought it was almost funny and that he was kind of trying to show him up in front of everybody. Bold move.

Michael rarely says anything without a purpose. He is absolutely trying to but a fly in Roth's ointment by bringing this up in front of everyone. I think that Michael knows that he or Roth will be dead within a few days and Michael is trying to do what he can to ruin Roth's investments just in case Roth survives and Michael doesn't.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"