I personally think it was a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

Al was stealing from the family and wasn't doing a satisfactory job in Casso and Amuso's eyes. He had sensed a change in their body language when conferring with him (particularly Amuso); he had sensed he was on the outs. Maybe they were going to whack him, maybe they were going to simply demote him.

It could be that D'Arco truly believes the events at The Kimberly Hotel happened as he describes.

But the guy was already paranoid at this point and his mind was probably just playing tricks on him. Casso and Amuso's bloodthirstiness and the bloodshed that was going on with more than one family in the late-eighties would put anyone on edge.

I wonder how close it was to this, before or after, that Amuso had screamed at Pete Chiodo in front of a load of guys, belittling a capo. Very testy times for all the big players in that family.

I'm curious if by some miracle Casso and Amuso hadn't been arrested in the early-nineties, how long would it have been before other guys besides D'Arco and Chiodo started questioning their treatment of made guys and broached the subject of taking them out.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.