Originally Posted by antimafia
Originally Posted by Ciment
The informant also indicated that there had to be at least 50 members per locale.

Other sources report that there are 9 locale in Ontario. Some even go as far as reporting that there may be one locale in Montreal.

Ciment,

There is a serious definitional problem with respect to the term locale used to denote a unit of the 'ndrangheta operating outside Italy.

Various authorities in Italy -- individuals who work in government, law enforcement, and justice -- have unfortunately not realized that, in interviews and public statements, they 1) offer different assessments of the number of locali in Canada (Ontario specifically) and 2) hold different views about what constitutes a locale, whether we are talking about the number of members or the number of 'ndrine operating in a territory. These authorities really should coordinate what they say in public and in writing.

By one definition, the Greater Toronto Area Siderno Group in 2010 didn't even constitute a locale because, per phase 1 of the Il Crimine investigation, the crime group had only 43 inducted members.

Give me a day or so, and I'll cite the sources I've collected over the years to show the discrepancies. To start, below is a link to a reprint of an interview with Michele Prestipino, one-time chief prosecutor for Reggio Calabria, that indicates Toronto has one locale and Thunder Bay (a much, much smaller city than Toronto) also has one locale. I don't agree with this equivalence at all, but the confusion arises from the aforementioned definitional problem.

http://www.pinomasciari.it/?p=11376

This older interview also offers a different take on who was actually in charge of the Siderno Group in the GTA back in 2011 despite the fact that the 2010 Il Crimine investigation named seven leaders who were considered to be on the camera di controllo, or commissione.

I see what you mean. The following Italian article refers to Toronto as having a locale and same for Thunder Bay. It gets to be confusing.

http://www.strill.it/citta/reggio/2...nternazionale-41-orinanze-di-custodia-2/

Michele Prestipino also says that Carmine Verduci, resident in the York Region, considered the head of the "local" in Toronto.

Last edited by Ciment; 04/30/19 10:11 PM.