Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Originally Posted by Irishman12
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Certainly less offensive than the It remake.

Just curious as to what you found offensive in the IT remake?

I thought Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise was much more nuanced than Bill Skarsgard's. He wasn't just scary, he was charismatic and funny. I thought Bill Skarsgard's portrayal was too one-dimensional. I also thought the child actors in the original were better. There was definitely an overreliance on CGI and special effects at the expense of crafting a good story; likewise the selling point of the movie being set in the 80s with e.g. the nod to Nightmare on Elm Street showing at a movie theater in Derry.

I really can't overstate how much I disliked Pennywise in the remake. The way they designed him was like throwing shit on a wall and seeing what sticks, an example of what I'm on about being the rows of teeth he has when he opens his mouth.

One of the big differences I liked in the original was that the child (and adult) actors really sold the threat of Pennywise and their internal conflict. I was never really sold any threat in the remake. Pennywise seemed to expound more energy prancing around making goofy faces and showing off the movie's special effects budget than actually trying to kill the kids.

IDK maybe I'm just being a contrarian, I don't really like new horror movies in general. In terms of special effects it definitely beats the original hands down but IMO the original was a much better told story with scenes that remain with me to this day. I can't really remember anything from the remake save being extremely irritated (unintentionally) by the guy who played Seth Green's character in the original, and being let down by Pennywise.

TBH I think the role of Pennywise should've went to an American or British actor, but not the guy who was originally cast as Pennywise before Skarsgard - he sucks too.

Thanks for the feedback and I agree with you wholeheartedly that Curry was a better Pennywise than Skarsgard. However, I liked the kids in the remake more probably. The banter and infighting they had seemed more realistic to me. And the opening scene from the remake stuck with me (similar to how it did with the original as well). Plus, I loved the fact they went for the R rating and didn't water it down to appeal to a wider audience. I understand the original was a TV mini-series and it was released in 1990, where the standards for TV are quite different than they are today. But I am eagerly anticipating Chapter 2 in September!