Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
Originally Posted by Turnbull
"Why didn't we spend time like this before?"

Not to get too deep into the weeds, but I've always felt the wording and syntax of this sentence is fascinating.

Normally, if you're sorry you haven't had a great time together in the past, you'd say something like, "Why haven't we ever spent time like this?" That wording and tense implies regret for time lost but also hope for the future.

But Fredo uses "before" without "ever" and speaks in the past tense, showing that something has happened that will prevent him from having a fraternal relationship with Michael moving forward.

For instance, if you go to dinner with a platonic friend and realize you have feelings for each other, you'd say, "What haven't we ever done this?" But if you did it right after her wedding, you'd say, "Why didn't we do this before?"

Anyway, that is a great "tell" from Fredo that he knows that he has crossed a line that cannot be uncrossed, and also a clue that Michael didn't seem to pick up on at the time, but may have by the time the New Year's Eve party rolled around.
Interesting post Woltz

Fredo could have still tried
1. having a fraternal relationship with Michael moving forward
2. to uncross the line he has crossed

Fredo could have helped Michael with what he knew for the senate hearing at least even after the first session
Surely, Fredo would have known that the senate hearing was coming but chose to keep Michael in the dark

Michael didn't seem to pick up on Fredo's great "tell" at the time
Did any of us board members? We were all in denial!
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Three great John Cazale moments in GFII when he and Michael are having their tete-a-tete in the outdoor cafe in Havana:
1. Fredo says, "Sometimes I think I should have settled down, married a girl like Kay, been more like..." He pauses. We wait for him to say, "like you." Instead he says, "like Pop."
“married a girl like Kay” oh! boy!!
Sure thing I think we did! wait for him to say, "like you”