I think the one main problem, if you can call it that is during the run of the show there were an awful lot of "wasted moments". What I mean by that is there were a lot of scenes that could have been cut out, handled a different way, whatever. I really noticed this when A&E bought the rights to the show and those geniuses decided it would be a good idea to edit the show down to fit in an hour time slot and take out the profanity, even if the show was running after midnight. I would be baffled sometimes seeing the stuff they cut out, but so many times I'd be watching and think "Oh yeah, nothing happens with this storyline" or "they dropped the ball with this". The scenes with Meadow in college and her stupid roommate Caitlin for example could have been excised. Vito magically stumbling (waddling) into Gaysville, USA and "Johnnycakes" didn't warrant the focus it got, seemed very shoehorned in, a lot of the stuff with Melfi outside of the therapy sessions with Tony, and a lot of the therapy sessions with Tony as well.

As much as I dislike to compare the two shows, Breaking Bad for the most part did not have any of those wasted moments and there weren't lots of open ended storylines and things were resolved in a believable way without seeming forced. That is a much more satisfying show to re-watch. The Sopranos is chock full of great, fantastic moments, but you could fast forward through a whole ton of bullshit when you've seen the show once or twice. It's great for checking out short clips on Youtube, but I think it'd be more than a few years before a re-watch. It's funny how in season 1 of the show it was definitely more comedic. Even the "next on" music at the end was much different, almost slap-sticky sounding. Big tonal shift in that first season for the better.

Last edited by Goldy; 11/24/18 04:47 PM.