GOTTI

This has been getting some pretty bad reviews with it's recent release, however, I was quite surprised by the amount of people at the theater when I saw it (at least three-quarters full). There were a couple of problems with the film that I found. 1) it felt like Travolta was trying to play a gangster. I didn't really buy him as a John Gotti type, so when you can't buy in to the believably of your main character, you're already starting off on the wrong foot. 2) at the start of the film, they introduced a lot of characters, sometimes in a very short amount of time. Some of them played big parts going forward, however, some were never followed up with or heard from again, so really, what was the point of introducing them? Unless you were already familiar with them, you were lost as to their significance to the story. 3) the story jumped around quite a bit. The film opens up with John Jr. visiting his father in prison, telling him about him (Jr.) possibly taking a deal to avoid a longer sentence. The film then proceeds to jump back in time, then forward to father and son prison visit, then back again, etc. etc. Is this film a masterpiece? Hardly. Is it the worst film I've ever seen? Once again, hardly. I went in with low expectations and the film wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. 4.5/10