SUPERFLY

I never saw the original SUPERFLY, so I went into this blind. It's an interesting story about a cocaine dealer who's trying to make one last score so he can walk away. However, when he goes around his supplier and goes directly to the source, he soon finds out that walking away is not as easy as it seems. This is one of the better criminal/gangster pictures in recent memory. I was hoping for more from the soundtrack but the costumes, cars, jewelry and certain filming locations added to the authenticity of the picture and got me to buy in more into the believability of the characters. I applaud the writing as the main character Priest is a smart businessman who sees the longer-term goals and isn't so easily provoked to violence. 6/10

LEATHERFACE

Another unnecessary prequel that tells the backstory of a character nobody wanted/asked for/needed. Sometimes not everything needs to be explained and the unknown is actually more terrifying than the known. A weak script, with a low body count and really only the last three minutes of the film are worth anything and even that's a stretch. 4/10