Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: olivant

True enough TB. But I wonder if his conversation with his mother was to furnish him with sufficient information to justify his disposal of Kay. When his mother said that one never loses one's family I think he interpreted that as a green light to continue his nefarious ways as well as Kay's continued usefulness to him at no risk to him.

Reprehensible character that he was, it's entirely possible that Michael ultimately interpreted what Mama said as a green light. But, for the moment, I think he was upset about losing Kay.

I agree with TB on this one.

I don't see any indication that Michael is anything but upset about how his family life has turned out. If he had some ulterior motive, why would he question what his father thought "deep in his heart?"

As to him using Mama's comments as an endorsement of his actions without consequence to him, Michael himself refutes this with his "tempi cambi" comment.

He is saying to Mama that times change, and one can lose his family these days. Which is exactly what Michael realized was happening.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"