I was thinking exactly the same thing, hoodlum. I did like the book but some of the stuff seemed straight fantasy... like J Edgar Hoover before he died calling Gambino and telling him there was a rat in one of his crews... and he was talking about Willie Boy Johnson! Wtf... at the time I'm pretty sure there were other rats, more important ones, like Scarpa, etc.
There's a lot of stuff you can tell Polisi just makes up. He says Sonny Franzese was involved in bank robbing, while Michael swears his dad was NEVER into that.
Looks like the FBI fed him some bullshit info when turning rat and he's put a lot of that bullshit in his book, I think.

I do like the book however, I like the funny parts, where they're just bullshitting around hanging out with each other at the club, and Sal Polisi's personal life seems interesting enough in itself, but by the second half of the book, I was feeling kinda bored... especially towards the end when he testified against John.. that was pure BS, and we all know he was raped on the stand by Cutler and them.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso