Originally Posted By: DuesPaid
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Mob Boss is seriously embellished IMO. D'Arco was nothing more than a puppet, yes man for Casso & Amuso. Of course in the book, he claims otherwise. And I'm not sure what to make of his claims of all his dealings with real Genovese heavyweights during the 70's. The guy lived in apartment tenements all his life, was never really a good earner, and wasn't made until he was in his 50's. And at least one of his claims is flat out wrong, and that's the origins of the American Mafia, and it being New Jersey with some secret society called "The Church". Good book though if you're looking for a book about a lower rung guy, instead of a boss, which is what D'Arco was for most of his life.
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Mob Boss is seriously embellished IMO. D'Arco was nothing more than a puppet, yes man for Casso & Amuso. Of course in the book, he claims otherwise. And I'm not sure what to make of his claims of all his dealings with real Genovese heavyweights during the 70's. The guy lived in apartment tenements all his life, was never really a good earner, and wasn't made until he was in his 50's. And at least one of his claims is flat out wrong, and that's the origins of the American Mafia, and it being New Jersey with some secret society called "The Church". Good book though if you're looking for a book about a lower rung guy, instead of a boss, which is what D'Arco was for most of his life.

The fact is , he was a Boss.

Living in an apartment, where he lived was chosen, a way of life that many never traded in for many reasons. Even The Chin and many other people who have and had plenty of resources to live anywhere "chose" to live where they have family, protection, stability and a feeling of security that is priceless.

Judging someone for that reason is rediculous.

I did live in the same type of neighborhood and understand this completely.

On another note, I wonder who , without the right skills, could have survived working for those two mutt losers.

You?

Al D'Arco was a glorified capo. He didn't make any decisions of his own while being "boss", every decision and call he made was what Casso & Amuso told him to do. I'm not judging D'Arco because he lived in apartments, that was just an example along with everything else I mentioned as to why I think parts of his story were embellished. Calling him a "boss" with a straight face is laughable, to me at least. He was placed there in an acting role, all the decisions came from Casso & Amuso, he was quickly demoted from that acting boss spot not too long after, then ran to the feds under fear of being placed on the hit list. Fat Pete flat out disobeyed Amuso & Casso when it came down to it. D'Arco survived by being merely a lap dog for the two men. He never generated any real money outside of his Burger stand, or so he claims. So it's hard to say if his low income tenement living was a choice or not. I do know that he basically got into his last one for free through the Windows scam. But again, like I said, I'm not judging him for that. Fact is, Al D'Arco is much more Nick Caramandi than an Angelo Bruno. And like I said again, the book is great as I'm regards to the story of a lower rung made man, one who basically had to scheme all his literal life out of necessity as opposed to want.

@ Bonanno, you can download the Last Testament of Luciano online for free, through Google if you search hard enough. Over the years the book has become less and less desirable as it seems the author really had no with Luciano like what the book implies and how those words may not even be Lucianos. But I'm of the opinion they are, and that he just jerked the author about certain things. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 09/10/15 05:32 AM.