Originally Posted By: BarrettM
I'm embarassed to admit I skipped past 5 families wink probably the only forumer who forgot to read it.

Lol, you ain't the only one. I was going crazy about Five Families since I never read it and when I got it, I read a chapter or two and then forgot about it.
It was good, it's just that I already know most of the things, especially early-era Castellammarese war and 30-40's stuff. Of course I'll finish it, but I might probably have to skip a chapter or two to hold my interest.

That's what I hate about some Mafia books, they go into a prelude and basically ancient history of the mob even when the book's about something/somebody else entirely. When you know this stuff already like most of us, it's very boring to read about it again and again on every book, the same shit, just phrased differently.
Which is why I enjoyed a lot more books like Donnie Brasco, Wiseguy, Underboss and even some of Philip Carlo's like Gaspipe. They are more concise, articulate and on-point and they don't go into a prelude about the Commission's origin whenever it's first mentioned.
Also, reading about a mobster's bio is always interesting, but I don't want to know every single detail, like when did Casso or Massino hit puberty or had their first crush, come on.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso