Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I think gone girl and birdman are probably the two best movies I've seen that have come out in 2014. I think gone girl might be my number 1 by an edge but idk birdman was really good.

You were spot on about the 'long take' Birdman is shot in, but whether he deserves it or not the Best Director Oscar will go to Linklater since Boyhood was a 12 year project. I personally have alot of problems with Gone Girl that would stop me from placing it in my top 10, but Birdman is no doubt top 5 for me.

I figured Linklater would get it. If I were a betting man I'd put it on him. But I think the director from birdman deserves it. What problems do you have with gone girl exactly? I was riveted the whole time really. What is your #1 for the year?

First of all it's the acting outside of Afflecks Sister (forgot her name) sorry to any fans but i think Affleck is one of the worst big Hollywood actors and he was no different here. Then you have Rosamund Pike who imo doesn't deserve the praise she's getting for that completely wooden performance, i feel people are praising the character particularly the way she was written rather than Pike.

Then it's mostly a few plot points some minor, and one pretty major.

GONE GIRL SPOILERS:

The whole 24 Hour Camera thing makes Zero sense. I mean there's no explanation at all whyy, 1.the cameras picked up nothing to show that she wasn't a prisoner, but only the parts that Pike had manafactured to frame Neil Patrick Harris, even though every room in the house is being filmed 24 hours a day. for however many days she stayed there 2.If we are to believe that Pike erased all of the incriminating footage, then why is noone other than the Female detective questioning her story? I'm fine with Suspension of Disbelief but this was just avoiding an explanation so the story fit together.

Overrall i'd say it was a pretty good film, but not among Finchers best and not one of my favourites from the year. I still have a good few movies to watch before i can decide on my favourite from the year.