Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I've mentioned this a few times in the Stephen King thread, but as a King fan I personally prefer the 1997 mini-series with Steven Weber (the "Wings" guy). It was much truer to King's novel. The book was divided at least fifty-fifty on what drove Jack to madness, the booze or the supernatural. And that's what the mini-series did.

Conversely, the 1980 Kubrick version was a straight-up horror film that stressed the supernatural element. That said, on its own, the 1980 Kubrick version is still a very good film, Nicholson's hammy, over-the-top performance notwithstanding.

I think King really hated Kubrick's version and that is why he wanted the mini series made. You are correct in Kubrick's version I believe that Nicholson character seems more unhinged from the get go where as in the books he slowly goes crazy. That being said I really enjoy Kubrick s version. And I really want to check out the mini series just to see what it is like and the differences. I read the book a long time ago and it is amazing but I need to re read it

I've walked along the red canal of mars
I've known kings and king makers
Poets painters and paupers
I've danced danced on the rings of Saturn
Still your pilgrim soul is the only thing that ever mattered