Originally Posted By: Louren_Lampone
Originally Posted By: olivant
To add to the "notice":

During the wedding reception scene, Michael introduces Tom to Kay as Tom Hagen. I suppose that's to also introduce Tom as a step-sibling for the audience that didn't read the novel. But Tom follows up by telling Michael that "your father" has been asking for you. Then in the meeting after Vito is shot, Tom uses the phrase again by telling Sonny If "your father dies ...". In both scenes, why does Tom not say "Pop" or use some similar synonym?

I also noticed that Oli...doesn't seem he would use that phrase if he grew up as Sonny's "brother."

Two thoughts:
1) According to the novel, Vito never intended to legally adopt Tom because to do do would show disrespect to Tom's birth father. Maybe by referring to Tom as "Hagen",they were merely respecting Vito's decision.
2) When Tom uses the phrase "your father",to Mike and Sonny,I believe he is acting as a typical lawyer,since Vito is legally not Tom's father. Always the Consigliere, he immediately switches into battle mode after Vito's shooting. In his mind,he is acting as the adviser to the Corleone Family,and since it is "business,not personal",his obligation is to be accurate,logical,and calm. The blood relationship between Vito and his son's would have no more bearing on his advice to Sonny than the blood relationships of the Tattaglia's or the Barzini's.

When he says to Sonny "I'm as much of a son to him as you or Mike", he means that he loves and is loved by Vito just as much as the brothers,but that the issue is the survival of the Corleone Family and their businesses