Originally Posted By: EVL
I've been reading Hortis's book, must say I don't understand the fuss over it. Any book that revels in the fact that it includes primary source research I have to wonder about. Every nonfiction book is supposed to have that although we know some probably use 20 other books as their source material. I still think Raabs is the definitive book on New York. Can anyone tell me what Hortis offers us that's new? I think Capeci was being quite generous but did he even read it? I don't believe he's written about it. He did for example write a long column about Mafia Summit which I think is excellent (the writer does make some juvenile factual errors). I just finished "Mob Boss" and thought it had some great insight. I'm also reading Havana Nocturn and am enjoying it a lot. Also still reading Mob and the City, also Mafia Republic. Next up, the Outfit. Any feedback on Mob & City?

I'm 3/4 done with it. I think it's good, but like I said above, it's pretty academic. One of his main goals is to refute other mafia books. He's trying to correct misconceptions of the mafia that have been written by other authors. Some of his corrections are amazing, others more nitpicky.

I see this book as a much smaller five families that only focuses on the early part of the mob before the 1960s. It focuses on all aspects of mafia life, and provides backup for all its facts. It also makes a point of disproving common myths about the mafia, some included in five families. I think that's pretty new.