Originally Posted By: BloodlettersandBadmen

"Confusion is a result of the fact that there are really two commissions...[Source here is Joseph Bonanno] he speaks only of the commission as a unit representing the five New York families, with a representative from Chicago and at various times from a few additional cities such as Buffalo, Detroit and Philadelphia." p. 114

The larger group also referred to as the Commission or Syndicate was that formed by the non-Sicilian Charles Luciano and his Jewish friends Meyer Lansky and Ben Siegel. This group was "national". And had representatives from every major city in the US. It included such notable mobsters like Dutch Schultz, Abner "Longy" Zwillman, Moe Dalitz, and others.

It was this group which consolidated power and was dreamed of by Johnny Torrio and Charlie Luciano.

It was this group which had Dutch Schultz killed for disobeying a decision of the Board with respect to Thomas E. Dewey. And by the way, Schultz was, at the time, the most powerful mobster in the city.

During the 1950's a power shift took place. Jewish gangs were on the decline. The Irish were already gone. So Italians began dominating both the five families and the national commission i.e. the Syndicate.

For the most part I agree with this. I'm not so sure about details.

I believe Luciano and his associates, Jewish or otherwise, formed their own national syndicate (combination). I believe it overlapped with Cosa Nostra and largely disintegrated by the 1950's. Murder Inc was part of it's muscle. Whether or not outsiders were allowed to vote on Cosa Nostra commission is a strawman. Perhaps you made a typo but Luciano was Sicilian.