Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
F white,I honestly don't know why there are a Counselor emeritus and a consigliere, but I think, given that very often this these are honorific titles that are given to old soldiers who still want to have their say on the family business and don't want to completely retire . But it is my guess.

You're correct about the Counselor Emeritus, Furio. However, it's mainly for retired administrative members, hence why the former boss, underboss, and consigliere currently hold that slot. Tony Tocco and Vito Giacalone have been slotted here as well before they died. Soldiers have in the past had this position, but it is rare. It's just an extra buffer and counsel if wanted by the boss and sitting admin. It's not a true source of power, like say the consigliere. They are held in higher regard that a soldier however.

This isn't a new position either. It was referred to as the "Ruling Council" originally when the family was young and powers from the different factions consolidated their power (Tocco, Zerilli, Licavoli, Meli, and Priziola factions). The first member to become a "counselor emeritus" was the first boss, Black Bill Tocco, when he started to step away and give rackets to his son, Jack Tocco in the 60's, but still wanted some say in family matters. As the founders aged or got sick, they usually stepped down and took this position.