Over the years I've read all of the Roemer books and a few others but here are the recent ones and a few thoughts.

Five Families - Seems like a legit documentary of the history of the families. Not a "ton" of depth on any of them, but certainly very comprehensive.

The Oufit - Definitely the most in depth book I've read about Chicago CN, one interesting thing that Russo went into was saying that Torrio after leaving Chicago to Capone was instrumental in founding the Commission and that he was guiding Luciano. I'd never heard that, not sure if it's true.

The Boys of the Chicago Heights - Worst book of the 4. Poorly written but documents one of the most brutal crews in CN history. If they didn't kill each other I'm sure they'd still be a force today.

When Corruption was King - This is a book I suggest everyone reads. Whether your an Outfit buff or not this book is pretty riveting. Just to know how far the tentacles of the Outfit reached, not just in Chicago, but statewide and national.

They don't have that pull anymore but still have associates in unions and in state government here as anyone in IL knows, but this book really explains the political pull they had, and doesn't ever go into the teamsters, etc. Good stuff.

Next up is Donnie Brasco, and I think Underboss.

Last edited by EricKumerow; 02/03/14 06:01 PM.