I also thought that initially but after rethinking the whole scenario I think New York had Tony killed. Obviously in La Cosa Nostra you can't one hundred percent trust anyone and even though Albie gave Tony the go ahead to get rid of Phil Leotardo, New York wouldn't have just let a "Glorified crew" get away with killing a boss. It was a sloppy hit that was could be easily tracked back to Tony and was eventually his downfall. I'd bet money on it that the Lupertazzi family had people watching Tony immediately and that's how they knew where he would be. Remember, Tony was in the restaurant before the man in Member's Only Jacket, he entered after Carmella and with A.J. reinforcing my idea that Tony was tailed to find out where he would be. There's nothing to show that the gun was placed in the restaurant like Michael Corleone's hit in GF I, MOJ only went to the bathroom to get a unsuspecting and clean shot at Tony. And the rest is history.

Here's some standard operating procedure. Stay the fuck away from Tony Soprano, shut the fuck up and listen. It's over. Capisce? Over and done. You call, or go anywhere near him or his family and they'll be scraping your nipples off these fine leather seats. And here's the point to remember: my face is the last one you'll see, not Tony's, we understand each other? It won't be cinematic.