Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro
I tried to search for a post on this one, but I just picked up Mafia Dynasty by John H. Davis (author of Mafia Kingfish-about Marcello, this one is a general history of the Gambinos). Has anyone read it? What do you think?

Just a chapter in and I'm thinking where he got all of this background info on Don Carlo? Probably relatives.

Barely a hundred pages in and this book is already turning south. According to Davis, Carmine Galante, "boss of the Bannano family", was at Apalachin. He further speculates wildly about Apalachin, writing that the state police may have been tipped-off by Frank Costello, a double-crossing Carlo Gambio and Meyer Lansky (and Marcello to boot) to embarrass and cause trouble for Genovese. Why they would jeoprodize every other boss in the country to just get back at Genovese the author doesn't address. He just tells us that it may have been a set-up because a bunch of Cosa Nostra bosses weren't there; which is a pretty huge leap since not all "commission" meetings were attended or rep'd by all bosses and Genovese's rivals would have been keen to find a handy excuse not to attend an impromptu meeting called by Genovese in the first place.

Even for a 20-year-old book this is not good.

Davis have a knack of exaggerating. I guess most mob writers do. But the most annoying writer and so called "mob expert", is without a doubt Ernest Volkman, in my opinion. He takes the exaggeration to the highest level, makes one want to puke. CanĀ“t stand him!

[Linked Image]