Some of my faves:

Five Familes by Raab is without a doubt my favorite and the best book on the mafia I have ever read.

The Outfit by Gus Russo contains some embellishments and flaws but is still probably the best on that particular organization out there. Coen's Family Secrets book is a good one to take us up to the present day.

Genoveses don't have any one book that chronicles their family's history but there are a few good books out there on Luciano and Costello that covers the family in its beginnings. Post Genovese up to Gigante literature is almost non-existant due to the secretive nature of the family but hopefully that will change in the future.

Tons of stuff on the Gambinos is out there. Capeci's book on Gotti and Davis's book on the Gambino family history are not without flaws but are nevertheless good reads.

Volkmann's Gangbusters is a decent summary of the Lucchese family history which really focuses on the Amuso/Casso era. It's a good read but a lot of the dialogue was fabricated to add a little bit to the story.

The Last Godfather by DeStefano and Donnie Brasco by Pistone are both excellent Bonanno crime family studies.

Not much on the Colombos out there - does anyone know of any good stuff on them?

Last edited by Snakes; 02/27/13 12:30 PM.

"Snakes... Snakes... I don't know no Snakes."