Originally Posted By: Ted
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Vinny’s now making even more money. He kicks a nice piece of it upstairs to his crew chief. In turn, the crew chief passes a cut to his capo, who shares his piece with the Don. Pretty soon, that whole East Harlem operation, and everyone in it, is looking very good to the Don. But the Don’s not dumb—he has a good idea where the money originates. He hears about a drug bust that netted some members of a Jamaican posse in Brooklyn. He mentions to his capos, “Hey, it’s a real good thing that we have a ban on selling drugs in our borgata, and a death penalty for violators. Otherwise we’d wind up like them no-good, undisciplined mulinians over there.” The capos pass the word on down. Vinny’s crew chief, who knows what’s going on, says to Vinny, “Uh, by the way, you ain’t sellin’ drugs, are you?” “Me?” replies Vinny, indignantly. “Sellin’ f*****’ s**t to a buncha lowlifes on the street? Not on your f*****’ life!” Vinny told the literal truth: he’s not actually selling drugs on the street—he’s just wholesaling drugs to the guys who are selling them. As far as he’s concerned, he’s not violating the family’s ban on “selling drugs.” His crew chief is satisfied—and so’s everyone over him. They’re all getting their piece of Vinny’s action. As long as Vinny’s producing money, they’re content to look the other way. If he gets caught, he knows they’ll try to kill him before he can rat them out. Everyone knows the score.

I don't think the hypothetical situation you described his banned. Officially or otherwise. Even after the 1950s ban, Mafia families were still distributing drugs. They just didn't want their own guys selling it (which a lot of them did anyways). Financing a drug operation is different, though. In the situation above, he bought the heroin, but had it distributed through a 3rd party. In your example, he didn't even have to touch the drugs. I don't think there is anything to hide from his superiors. It's not like the Cherry Hill Gambinos or anything who actually ran drug operations. That was out-right ignoring the ban, but Castellano didn't care.

Castellano cared enough that he wanted to kill Gotti's friend. didn't Gotti kill Casteallno over some police tapes that would have shown his friend sold drugs agaisnt Castellano's orders?