Reading 'Operation Family Secrets' right now, I'm about halfway through. I like the insight it gives in the Outfit and some of its more famous murders (the Spilotro murders etc).

But I hate the constant whining of Frank jr. Boohoohoo my daddy didn't love me, boohoo my daddy beat me up so much I started doing coke blablabla. Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't allow your dad to beat you up when you're a grown man. Maybe you should start hitting back at one point. He spends half the book convincing the reader he's just this great guy who happened to have a horrible father and only became a rat to help his dad. Bullshit. He sold coke, he worked in his father's crew for years, he made a lot of money in a lot of criminal ways, fine, but don't try to find some stupid excuse for it. You are what you are, you are responsible for your own actions.

Maybe the problem is that I read The Last Gangster by George Anastasia before this, one of the best books I've ever read on the Mob. What I like about it? It gives a great insight in the day to day affairs of a small mob family, and Previte doesn't make up excuses for anything. He is what he is, a crooked bastard, but at least he's not apologizing for it.