Originally Posted By: BarrettM

I'm almost finished with this book. Maybe I created the hype in my head but I'm not sure if it's living up to expectations? The implication was Frank Sheeran was very high up in mafia circles from online reading and the book's advertising. In fact it sounds like Russell Bufalino kept him out of the loop on mafia matters on multiple occasions, never telling him where he was driving him to and insisting he was only in Philadelphia for the bread and sausages. I haven't gotten to the Crazy Joe Gallo hit yet, so things might change. But for now it definitely feels off from my expectations.

Oh, I almost forgot. Once again not what I expected, the book actually has good information on Angelo Bruno that we've never really seen before. Out of the supposed 5 murders he ordered in 30 years, the only thing that's common knowledge would be the hit on Joey Mcgreal. But Frank Sheeran brings to light another hit. It's worth it if you want info on Bruno, because he's not portrayed as the mafia saint or martyr many make him out to be. In fact he seems just as angry as the rest of them.

I think I may have posted my opinions on this book earlier in this thread, but what hell; I didn't mind it. It was a good book.

You make a great point on the Bruno info; also, I agree it seems like, as 'close' as they were, Bufalino kept him on a 'need to know' basis. I think it's interesting that even Capeci himself admits that Sheeran's account of the Hoffa murder has the proverbial 'ring of truth'. I must admit, too, I was pretty much sold on his claim to have hit Joey Gallo, but another poster on the other forum makes a formidable claim that he was lying about that particular one (said poster points to Sonny Pinto as the culprit. If your interested, shoot me a PM, I'll send you a link)

One other thing...was I the only one disturbed by his fight with a kangaroo? That's not a metaphor for anything; he reckons he actually boxed a kangaroo. Goddamn.

(cough.)