Homers77;

Sixth Family is a great book, but it tends to overemphasise the Rizzuto Family's stature to a degree. And remember that it came out just before the string of murders took place up there, so it's a little dated now. Mafia Inc. is another great one on Canadian LCN and Italian OC.

Honestly though, its hard to go past Selwyn Raab's Five Families for info on the Chin, Genovese and the NYC mob in general. It only covers up to about 2005 though, so it to is a little dated now considering all that has happened since then. Still a great read but. I seriously hope he does and update soon. Even if it's just another few chapters, Id probably buy the whole damn book again just for them.

Lastly, I know a few guys here didn't like it as much as I did, but Idiots Guide to the Mafia by Jerry Capeci is IMO the best starting point for all this stuff. It not only covers NY, but goes around the US and up to Canada, detailing every LCN family that had ever operated in the country and giving a concise history on them.

(cough.)