Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Originally Posted By: Lilo

I best know Whedon as director/creator of Serenity/Firefly. He brings some of that trademark humor to The Avengers. Look, this is an enjoyable film but it's not by any means one that is plot driven.

It's not plot driven as much as storytelling-driven. Big difference. People reguarly confuse the two, but I would complain that many movies suffer from having too much plot at times. (Depp's PIRATES movies immediately come to mind. Jesus they're overcomplicated.)

Exactly. This. The plot is simple and the story is compelling. It just works. It works so well that you look at other films and think why can't that director/producer/actor/writer get it right.

Consider Whedon's clever writing in regards Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo being BFFs. If you saw those pictures, it makes logical sense. But without those movies, you absolutely buy that connection because of their great chemistry together. Two scientists (if completely different personalities) bond over their private well-founded reasons for distrusting the government/military. Not to mention nobody else around them "gets" their technobabble.

Yes, Stark and Banner play off each other nicely.

As summer spectacle entertainment, it's top flight. Good cast, good action, good SFX, friendly to imagination and intelligence (broadly) instead of insulting either as Michael Bay tends to do with his stupid crap. But you want to know what I think the secret recipe for this billion-dollar hit is? The humor. My audience was cracking up at the appropriate spots and punchlines, including the best smashing scene (literally) in the movie which brought more laughs than the last few comedies I've seen.

PUNY GOD!

That's another reason for AVENGERS' success. Alot of summer movies in recent years lack that magic of suspenseful anticipation when you the audience are ahead of the characters and know their future destination andencounters, which the characters might be ignorant in the dark about. Way too many movies go autopilot and have the audience/characters share the same knowledge.

(STAR WARS comes to mind as a classic example of that sensation. Empire captures Leia, takes her to the Death Star. The droids escape, land on Tantoine, meet up with Luke Skywalker. He meets Obi-Wan, they meet Han Solo and charter a flight. They don't know it yet until it's too late, but you just know they're gonna end up at the Death Star, kick ass, and save Leia.)

Well it was a surprise to me but then again I was only 8 yrs old when I first saw it.. lol

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.