I don't know if it is lying. Remember the Bonannos were considered drug-dealing mutts after the Brasco deal - they were kicked off the commission (all the families dealt, but the Bonannos tended to get caught more often I believe, giving them the reputation of the "drug dealing" family.)

Massino wanted back in, and Gotti went to bat for him and I think succeeded. But Massino may have forever held a biased view of the Commission for having kicked his family off of it. Remember, nothing is on paper -- it's all in the minds of the members. Opinion. Maybe Massino belittled it in his own mind, thought it was finished because he wasn't part of it. These guys are human, too and susceptible to insecurity, anger, ego, etc., just like the rest of us. I will put up my post about the Commission next...

Also, in my post a former mobster I contacted offered this explanation for what Massino said about Sonny Black and Mirra:

"Massino's word will be the gospel, true or not.

"Anyone who is free and can dispute it wouldn't risk their freedom to do it. Why change it? Maybe he's right. If he's not, it's to give the Feds something they think they just uncovered of value. Does it matter? The guys are dead for many years."