I have just finished reading "Mafia son" by Sandra Harmon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mafia-Son-Scarpa...5666&sr=1-1

The book is about the infamous Greg Scarpa - both father and son.
The book is well written and it delves into the murky dealings between Scarpa SR and his FBI handlers (Greg Scarpa senior had been an FBI informant for most of his "career").
The handlers are alledged to have known what Greg was doing (he wasnt nicknamed the Grim Reaper for nothing) and even provided him with information to assist him but this was also a 2 way relationship.
Scarpa is even alledged to have assisted the FBI in forcing a Ku Klux Klan member to reveal the location of three bodies of murdered civil rights workers in Mississippi

The book also deals with Scarpa Junior and his ultimate incararation where he discovered info relating to 9/11 but the feds refused to take him seriously.
The book made me loath Linda Schiro - Greg seniors long time mistress and mother of some of his kids (but not Greg Juniors mother) because she spent years with the Scarpa's knowing full well what they were doing and she happily accepted it.
But all she did was bitch and moan when her own son was murdered (despite the fact she knew her son had murdered people himself).
Sorry Linda - but having your nearest and dearest get murdered is a hazard of them being a criminal!!!!
The book also has a humour element at times - for instance, one of Greg Seniors associates once showed Greg a small pick that was ideal for smashing open pay phones.
Greg aquired one of these for himself and despite the fact that he didnt need the money he used to bash open public phones to raid the coins inside - he was known to even drive miles out of his way to smash a phone because he got such a kick out of the fact he was robbing the phone company!!!!!
Good book that I would recommend to others.