Originally Posted By: calabresesoldier
I wanted to know if anyone knows why Frank Nitti killed himself, I really never found much information on that topic. He was the outfit boss, and went to the tracks and killed himself, does anyone know?

I have seen diferent hypotheses on whether Nitti was the Boss of the Outfit in quite the same way that a NY Family Boss would be of a NY Family-with complete and total control. The Outfit was organized a little differently. While I wouldn't say Nitti was a front boss he may have been something closer to a CEO.

In any event Nitti was the identifiable leader of the Outfit and the one who had led the Outfit into the Hollywood extortion cases. When this went bad (Browne/Bioff got arrested and ended up providing information-at first inadvertently and then on purpose to the authorities), much of the initial post-Capone leadership hierarchy was indicted.

Greatly angered, everyone met at Nitti's house to plan strategy. Being the self-serving sort of people they were a consensus was reached that since much of this was Nitti's fault anyway and since he was the guy out front, he should just take the fall for everyone. Ricca was the leader of this faction and the most vocal about it.

Of course Nitti didn't see anything logical about this and was of the opinion that since it was a conspiracy charge everything would be fine if they just all stuck together. Nitti had been in prison before and had ZERO desire to go back.

Nitti and Ricca started screaming at each other and finally Ricca said "Frank, you're asking for it". This was widely understood to be a threat to either do the time or wind up dead. At that Nitti told everyone to leave his house.

The next day he killed himself.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.