I can't recommend strongly enough Gus Russo's book "The Outfit" which concerns the Chicago Outfit and associated organizations in the Midwest and California. He also wrote a book "Supermob" which was primarily about Sidney Korshak and other Jewish/Anglo powerbrokers that got their start being backed by the Outfit but branched out to mostly legal concerns. I haven't finished "Supermob" yet. Both books are quite dense, lengthy and extensively sourced.

The interesting thing about "...paint houses" is that you get to see some of the interplay between and among various criminal organizations, politicians, labor and businesses. Someone's formal title may be virtually meaningless as to the actual power they hold and there were some guys that were formal members of one family but did much of their business/socializing with members of another family. Everything was interrelated. There are multiple seats of power. It was a quicker read than "The Outfit" but still quite good. I don't have the book in front of me now and wouldn't want to spoil it but Sheeran's voice really is like listening to what I imagine Al Neri's memoirs would have sounded like. Sheeran evidently wasn't quite a lunatic psycho but he just lacked ANYTHING approaching empathy. Killing didn't bother him. At all.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.