WONDER WOMAN 1984

2020 has been a year to forget but at least HBO eased our suffering a little bit with the release of WONDER WOMAN 1984. Here, we find Diana Prince, decades from when we first saw her, this time in the nostalgic and excessive times that were the 1980's. A lot of the nostalgia comes in the form of the wardrobe's, where some fun is had. Unfortunately, Patty Jenkins missed out on a golden opportunity to capitalize on the music of the time, as an 80's soundtrack is sorely missing from this film. However, recent DC films have been derided as too dark. This is a break from that as WW84 is the most lighthearted and color vibrant film DC has put out in quite some time. Pedro Pascal, who's killing it recently with the just completed second season of THE MANDALORIAN on Disney+, has such a fun time as Maxwell Lord, an eccentric, deceptive swindler, selling audiences on their fantasies. I also did enjoy Kristen Wiig as I did scratch my head a bit at the announcement of her casting; however, I'm always in favor of seeing comedians stretch their range into other, non-comedic roles and she does an admirable job as the villian Barbara Minerva/Cheetah. Finally, the way in which Chris Pine's character of Steve Trevor is brought back (and that it wasn't spoiled in the trailers so I won't spoil it here), works and is such an integral part of the story. Overall, the sequel surpasses its predecessor and I look forward to a third Wonder Woman film to complete the trilogy. And yes, there is a mid-credit scene by the way. 6.5/10