MANK

Netflix had me at David Fincher. His first film since 2014's GONE GIRL did not disappoint. From the opening credits, the viewer is transported to 1930's Hollywood. A wonderful and truly authentic homage, in the style of Quentin Tarantino, to Hollywood's golden years. Gary Oldman stars (and shines) as Herman Mankiewicz, who is the writer of CITIZEN KANE. The film is told through present day and flashbacks. Quite a bit of politics, backstabbing, and excessivism (which I applaud both Fincher and Netflix for not shying away from the excessive drinking and smoking due to today's cancel culture). Oldman plays a wonderful drunken writer who, towards the end of his career, writes his masterpiece. Set against the Great Depression, the film explores gluttony, greed, and corruption. Oldman is steller (and Oscar nomination worthy) in his performance as Mank and Amanda Seyfried assists him as Marion Davies, a woman who he's had to bail out of more than one situation. Seyfriend plays the role flawlessly and I daresay is worthy of an Oscar nomination herself. The final pillar to this film is Charles Dance. Always a shark in blood infested waters, he continues his domineering performance here going toe-to-toe with Oldman. The true scene stealers are any scenes involving Oldman & Seyfried or Oldman & Dance. Although the runtime runs a little long in the tooth (it clocks in at 131 minutes), I am rather looking forward to a second viewing. 7/10