GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 80 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,149
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What if appollonia didn't die ? #997397
09/30/20 04:43 AM
09/30/20 04:43 AM
J
Jamesbontate33 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Jamesbontate33  Offline OP
J
Wiseguy
Not sure if it's been discussed, but do you guys/gals think Micheal would have been different if she didn't die ? Do you think Micheal would have been more like his father instead of being so ruthless? I feel like he would have been just like Vito , I think she was his Carmela so to speak .sorry again if it's been discussed but I'm really curious as to what the outcomes could have been . Thanks

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Jamesbontate33] #997408
09/30/20 10:21 AM
09/30/20 10:21 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Interesting question. While I do feel that the death of Appollonia was a huge blow to Mike,I also think that the ruthlessness die was already cast.
IMHO, the gangster that was within Mike came out after the hospital scene.

I believe that, despite his insistence that the killing of Sollozzo and McCluskey was "only business", to him it was absolutely personal.
When he told Kay,"that's my family Kay,that's not me",the Corleone "business" was still an abstract concept. Once it hit home,and almost cost Vito his life, Mike had no problem getting involved.

If you watch his face during the planning of the Sollozzo hit,you can actually see the transition.
McCluskey's murder was absolutely personal, a payback for slapping Mike around in public(sound familiar?

In all fairness,once Vito was almost killed,and Sonny got hit,Mike realized that he was the only remaining defender of the Family.
Having said that,I also feel that Mike actually enjoyed the power and fear that he wielded.
Every slight had to be avenged,but the only solution was murder.

He would never be like Vito.

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Lou_Para] #997418
09/30/20 03:18 PM
09/30/20 03:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
Interesting question. While I do feel that the death of Appollonia was a huge blow to Mike,I also think that the ruthlessness die was already cast.
IMHO, the gangster that was within Mike came out after the hospital scene.

Agreed. One thing that would have been different: Michael would not have had to spend so much time and emotional capital convincing Appolonia that he was "legitimate," as he did with Kay. In fact, a big part of the reason he married Kay was to bolster his "legitimate" front. Appolonia would have accepted him for what he was, just as her family in Sicily accepted him even after he told her father that he was "an American hiding from the police of my country." And, she would have fit right in with Michael's family. In the movie, we see Kay only twice with Vito: when Michael dragged her into the photo at Connie's wedding, and at Vito's burial.

I don't think Michael would have been any more, or less, ruthless if Appolonia had survived and came with him to America. Ruthlessness is part of being the Don. Michael couldn't give his own brother a pass because it would have been a sign of weakness that his foes (and even those around him like Rocco and Neri) could have exploited.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Jamesbontate33] #997440
09/30/20 06:39 PM
09/30/20 06:39 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Appollonia's death was one of the only times that I felt any sympathy for Mike. I believe that he truly loved her. She would have been a dutiful,faithful wife who would have given him as as many children as he wanted,made a beautiful home,and above all,wouldn't ask stupid questions like "Miguel,is it true". No doubt Signor Vitelli was well acquainted with Mafia protocol,and would have had a talk with her before the Ceremony. In their world,she hit the jackpot by marrying a man of Michael's status. To have a son-in-law like Mike wasn't anything to sneeze at either. If by chance Signor Vitelli would make an enemy,then they would become Michael's enemy,and then they would fear Vitelli.

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Jamesbontate33] #997495
10/01/20 10:57 PM
10/01/20 10:57 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt she was his Carmela and would have kept the family together She would have been a loving, dutiful and faithful wife

Vito is seen through rose-coloured glasses He was a cold blooded murderer despite his outward nice guy appearances, committing horrendous acts, cold blooded gruesome murders, destroying families / businesses including his threat of lethal force for the release of his Godson's contract shows where Michael got his cold bloodedness

Both were evil, ruthless, murderous crime boss Like father like son The difference was their wives

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Lou_Para] #997603
10/04/20 07:22 AM
10/04/20 07:22 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Mike had no problem getting involved because almost cost Vito his life It was save his father's life, son's love that was within Mike came out after the hospital scene. He was no gangster then

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Jamesbontate33] #997673
10/05/20 12:11 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Apollonia, Michael's Carmela, would have been “dutiful, faithful” the perfect wife for Mafia boss / 'legitimate' Michael

Apollonia “would have fit right in with Michael's family” bonding with Mama and all the other Corleone women, cooking together, maturing beautifully under Mama's guidance, running a loving, caring household, with lots of children

Apollonia would have stuck by Michael, through thick and thin, no matter what – Tahoe shooting, Senate hearing etc.

Michael too would have had it all! with Apollonia as his wife, not dissimilar to Vito

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Lou_Para] #997674
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
In all fairness,once Vito was almost killed,and Sonny got hit,Mike realized that he was the only remaining defender of the Family.
Having said that,I also feel that Mike actually enjoyed the power and fear that he wielded.
Every slight had to be avenged,but the only solution was murder.

He would never be like Vito
Vito too “actually enjoyed the power and fear that he wielded” among others, just ask!
1. Signor Roberto, Carmela's friend's landlord
2. band leader's brains or his signature
3. Woltz via Khartoum [defenceless prize horse]
4. anybody about Luca

Vito too “Every slight had to be avenged, but the only solution was murder” or threat of murder Comply or Die indeed

If my memory serves me right, among others - Vito
  • killed Don Fanucci and took over his business [Granted Vito looked after the people as well unlike Fanucci]
  • band leader's signature or brains on his Godson Fontane's contract release
  • killing of Khartoum [defenceless prize horse] for his Godson Fontane's movie role
  • went back years later and killed, a senile, one leg in the grave, Don Ciccio who was living out his last days thousands of miles away absolutely no threat to the Corleones as revenge for killing his family because same as Michael, the enemies have to be wiped out
  • planned all the dirty work - killing of Carlo Rizzi and Moe Greene, the baptism murders - for Michael to carry out after Vito's death thus leaving a murderous legacy for Michael Thanks! Pop

Originally Posted by Evita
Both were evil, ruthless, murderous crime boss Like father like son The difference was their wives
Spot on! Vito's Carmela Michael's no Apollonia

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Turnbull] #997675
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Turnbull
I don't think Michael would have been any more, or less, ruthless if Appolonia had survived and came with him to America. Ruthlessness is part of being the Don. Michael couldn't give his own brother a pass because it would have been a sign of weakness that his foes (and even those around him like Rocco and Neri) could have exploited.
“Ruthlessness is part of being the Don” indeed The Dons' lives are on the line everyday, kill or be killed

I am not sure Turnbull whilst I appreciate the inference - nobody witnessed Fredo's boathouse outburst The general census was - Roth misled Fredo and Fredo [supposedly!] didn't know they [Roth and Ola] were planing to kill Michael - as told by Michael to Tom at the Desert Inn

Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Nobody other than Neri, knew Fredo was on borrowed time, had a Lifeline as long as Mama was alive It looked to Michael's “foes” Fredo had gotten a pass

There was no indication, Michael's “foes” tried to exploit, Fredo getting a pass [however long Mama was alive] as “a sign of weakness”

I doubt Neri would ever exploit or consider Michael weak for giving Fredo, his own - Mickey Mouse night club, brothel running, errand boy – brother, a pass and Rocco [even if Rocco was tempted!] wouldn't dare with Neri around

Besides Michael wasn't a Don then Michael was a 'legitimate' businessman!

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Lana] #997843
10/07/20 09:08 AM
10/07/20 09:08 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Pop had Carmela -- look what I got horror Kay
Michael no different crime boss The difference was their wives

Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Re: What if appollonia didn't die ? [Re: Capri] #998020
10/09/20 10:43 PM
10/09/20 10:43 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull