GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, Irishman12, Signor Vitelli), 79 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,182
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Names of families? #985019
01/21/20 02:01 AM
01/21/20 02:01 AM
K
Krsheely Offline OP
Made Member
Krsheely  Offline OP
K
Made Member
Why did family names stop where they did? For example why not the Persico or gigante family? Or go back to original like luciano family? Also in your options who's got the best fam nickname. I like the outfit and the arm.

Re: Names of families? [Re: Krsheely] #985024
01/21/20 05:17 AM
01/21/20 05:17 AM
S
Shellackhead Offline
Button
Shellackhead  Offline
S
Button
Those names are used to identify each family by Law Enforcement, when the mobsters themselves talk about the families they say my “borgata”, he’s from another NYC “borgata”, and so on.

Last edited by Shellackhead; 01/21/20 05:19 AM.
Re: Names of families? [Re: Shellackhead] #985031
01/21/20 07:37 AM
01/21/20 07:37 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Shellackhead
Those names are used to identify each family by Law Enforcement, when the mobsters themselves talk about the families they say my “borgata”, he’s from another NYC “borgata”, and so on.

That’s correct but guys that are in other families actually use LE names .... strange !

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Names of families? [Re: Krsheely] #985038
01/21/20 10:35 AM
01/21/20 10:35 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about how an associate on trial said he had no idea he was “a Colombo” until he was arrested and identified as one by LE. He was just working for his “skipper” and that’s that. Insulation is the mob’s best weapon...when they can maintain it.

Re: Names of families? [Re: Krsheely] #985240
01/24/20 01:21 AM
01/24/20 01:21 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
They seem to have kept the names of the boss of the family when Joe Valachi identified them all back in the early 60s. Except for the Colombos for some reason.

Apparently, when he became boss, Joey Massino changed the name of the family to the Massino family but I guess it never caught on.

Re: Names of families? [Re: Krsheely] #985359
01/25/20 08:42 PM
01/25/20 08:42 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Considering how low key Luciano and his faction were I'm sure they were just fine with the family going by "Genovese". Lucky probably hated his name attached to it in the first place. Wasn't his style.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Names of families? [Re: OakAsFan] #985370
01/25/20 11:09 PM
01/25/20 11:09 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Considering how low key Luciano and his faction were I'm sure they were just fine with the family going by "Genovese". Lucky probably hated his name attached to it in the first place. Wasn't his style.

I don't think that that is correct, Luciano was very flashy, as was Costello, they did nothing to hide who they were. They did a lot of hobnobbing with high society types, much more than Genovese. Genovese was the least flashy of the three, it just happened to be that he was on top when Valachi testified.

Re: Names of families? [Re: JC] #985372
01/25/20 11:11 PM
01/25/20 11:11 PM
S
Shellackhead Offline
Button
Shellackhead  Offline
S
Button
Originally Posted by JC

I don't think that that is correct, Luciano was very flashy, as was Costello, they did nothing to hide who they were. They did a lot of hobnobbing with high society types, much more than Genovese. Genovese was the least flashy of the three, it just happened to be that he was on top when Valachi testified.

What about the Colombo , why’d it change from profaci to Colombo?

Re: Names of families? [Re: JC] #985374
01/25/20 11:30 PM
01/25/20 11:30 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC

I'm not talking about the way in which Luciano and Costello created inroads with mainstream society, I'm talking about whether they preferred to have their name attached to the "thing of theirs". They wanted to be known to important people, but not to be known to the public as heads of a crime organization. I'm sure they were just fine with the press beginning to coin it the Genovese family.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Names of families? [Re: OakAsFan] #985375
01/26/20 12:14 AM
01/26/20 12:14 AM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by JC

I'm not talking about the way in which Luciano and Costello created inroads with mainstream society, I'm talking about whether they preferred to have their name attached to the "thing of theirs". They wanted to be known to important people, but not to be known to the public as heads of a crime organization. I'm sure they were just fine with the press beginning to coin it the Genovese family.

That's true I just think that it is funny that people think that the Genovese family was made up of guys looking to stay in the shadows. Richie the Boot had a huge property with a bunch of statues and a sign saying Godfather's Garden, Joe Adonis was flashy, Willile Morretti wasn't a shrinking violet and neither was Tirgger Mike, Ally Shades, John DiGilio, the list goes on. The general public thinks about the Chin and his crew and Benny Squint and believes that the rest of the family was always like that and they never were, even up to close to the present day.

Re: Names of families? [Re: Krsheely] #985442
01/27/20 07:59 AM
01/27/20 07:59 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Most of the names which the families are knows was gave during the Valachi hearing using the name of the borgatas bosses in 1963:

Vito Genovese borgata
Carlo Gambino borgata
Tommy Lucchese borgata
Joseph Bonanno borgata
Joseph Colombo borgata

and so on for the other small families.

Out NY there was some families like Buffalo that was knows with a nickname as the Arm and the Patriarcas as The Office and Chicago as the Outfit and the Detroit Partnership.

Philadelphia Mob insted was called Bruno family and Bruno-Scarfo family and today the Merlino Organization.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull